mamoli constitution cross section kit

chaltun

Help!

I am 76 yrs old and trying to build my first ship kit. Why at my age I'm attempting this project beats me, I was studying the plans today, which leaves a lot to be desired, I come across my first problem. Probably I'm ignorant but how do you convert these italian measurements into inches? Kindly help me. Many Thanks.

Norman

Hello Norman,

Welcome aboard,

This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.

I hope you will join us by contributing your buildlog here.

You'll find plenty of help from everyone.

And age just doesn't matter. Most important is that you're having fun and enjoy your build.

To answer your question.

Do you mean the Italian measurement 'braccio'? To convert braccio to inches you can use this program:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/braccio+[italy]/to/inch

If you mean the European measurement centimeters, you can use this program:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=van+centimeter+naar+inches&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=nl&client=safari

My advise is to start a buildlog of your ship. You can start a buildlog here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/53-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

This topic explains how to add pictures in your posts: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

Good luck,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Norman,

Welcome to MSW.  Just another hint:  If the measurement is something like "2,5".. replace the comma with a decimal point.  Anja gave you great advice. Browse or search the kit build logs or the Trition cross-section to get a feel for what you'll be building.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi!

...and thanks guys for the quick response. Here is a sampling of the confusion:

some parts have a measurement as 6x11x72, 1x4

some show a distance between 2 points as 60

There are no commas between any of the numbers

Normy

Hi!

...and thanks guys for the quick response. Here is a sampling of the confusion:

some parts have a measurement as 6x11x72, 1x4

some show a distance between 2 points as 60

There are no commas between any of the numbers

Normy

Could be millimeters.  Take a piece that's on the drawing of a known size and measure using the metric ruler. The other alternative is check in the kit logs and see if there's someone building her. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi normy,

Yes those are likely millimeter units. Instead of converting each and every one, get some scales/rulers in millimeter or centimeter units (10 mm = 1 cm). It'll save you a lot of trouble. Might be able to find some at an office supply store and I know there are scales that can be printed out that are available on the internet. For example:

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat