Rigging at the top of the Mast

I've been looking at my rigging plans and it says nothing about how you tie the rigging to the top of the mast. The blueprint seems to show the rigging just being attached to the top of the mast but that doesn't seem right. Also on my blueprint the drawings show some kind of a cap on top of all the masts I don't see any instructions that say what that is. Is it something you make out of wood or is it a metal fitting? I'm doing the rigging as yards lowered.

By the way the hint to pin the yards to the mast before attaching the rigging was a great idea it helped a lot and when I attached the yards to the mast it made life a lot easier for me.

Hi Malas,the wood caps (AKA trucks) on Mast tops were fitted with a sheave or sheaves for Flag or Pennant halliards. Perhaps if you said which masts,Lower,Topmasts or Topgallants you refer to may help with getting some answers :) If you are building a kit do a search on the forum,you might get lucky finding a build log there.

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Malas

What Dave said above for sure, very good advice! .   Which ship are you rigging?    You mention tie rigging to the top of the masts but in addition to which masts, to which lines are you referring, back stays, stays, shrouds, or something else?   Photos would help get you some good responses from the crew here at MSW.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'm rigging the solid hull version of the Rattlesnake by Model Shipways. The rigging blueprint does not say anything about how you attach both the standing and running ringing at the top of all three masts and the instruction manual is 4 pages long with very few illustrations. I've had the kit for over 35 years.  

Rattlesnake18.jpg

Rattlesnake19.jpg

I guess what I'm asking is how do the Main Topgallant, Mizzen Topmast, and the Fore Topgallant stays  attach to the masts ? All I can see from my blueprint is that it is wrapped around the mast is it a spliced eye at the top or some other method to hold the rope in place?  Please advise.