Cutty Sark cathead and anchor chain mechanism

Hello everyone.
I'm building a 1/96 Cutty Sark from revell plastic kit and I'm trying to improuve the cathead area.
I would like stow the anchors on the sides of the ship, such as depicted in the picture below.

But I miss some important information: how the two small chains (indicated with the arrows number 1 and 2)  are secured to the cathead and to the side of the ship?
There should be some sort of easy way to let the anchor go in case of emergency, but I can't figure out how! 
Campells plans shows this area and there is a sort of movable handle, called "Tumbler" wich seem to be the responsible for the quick release of the cat stopper chain (the number 1) but any image or description of this mechanism will be really appreciated. 
For the second chain things seem to be even more strange to me, since the plans show them tied to the bollard. Is this correct? And, if so, how should I tie the chain troughout the bollard? 
Thank you in advance for the help and sorry for my bad English. 

Marco

anchor_edit.jpg

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

The release gear was not only used in an emergency, but any time the anchor was let go. The first step is to lower the bottom end of the anchor, so that it swings freely, suspended from the chain on the cat-head. That chain is shackled on one side to the cat-head and on the other side is put over a pivoting pin. How that works is best illustrated by a drawing in Longridges book;

image.png.9547ba8a82c1f036183392361d193dac.png

From: LONGRIDGE, C.N. (1933): The Cutty Sark.- 440 p., Kings Langley/Herts. (Model and Allied Publications, reprint 1975).

In the above drawing the releasing lever is shown in the closed position. When it is pulled towards the viewer, the pin is free to rotate and the catting chain can slip off the pin.

In the 1980s I took some pictures on board of CUTTY SARK and the mechanism looked exactly like that. Unfortunately, my slides are not accessible at the moment, so that I could not make a scan.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Although Longridge's book has been written almost a hundred years ago, it still is a valuable source of information. He was able to draw on information before her preservation status and substance that has been lost in the fire a few years ago.

The book also contains useful modelling hints and tips. The model he build is now in the Science Museum in London, but I don't know its actual whereabouts following the closure of their shipping department. I think anyone building a model of CUTTY SARK should have this book.

wefalck

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Longridge book. I have the original two volumes which have loose drawing sheets tucked into pockets at the back. The later single combined book contains the same drawings, but within the restricted page size.

When Longridge did his research, the ship was still afloat. I did get to see his model at the science museum, which took some finding. Though it's an exquisite model, I felt it was very underwhelming compared to his sadly neglected 'Victory', just round the corner. Don't know where either is now. Some were returned to their owners and many went to Chatham Dockyard. I can find ONLY ONE poor photo of the CS model on the 'net.

Can't wait to see your slides; were they taken pre-restoration?

I was lucky to see her in the dry dock, many years before the fire.

Thankfully, before the fire the iron frames had already been stripped of the 'woodwork' and other consumables, which were preserved and restored. So much of what you do see now is the real deal.

Edited by shipman
additions

Perhaps I should make an effort, but due to storage space restrictions the pictures taken in the later 1980s, I would have to check in my picture logs for the exact date, are stored in a rather unaccessable way at the moment. Not sure, when I would have time to dig them out for scanning ...

Unfortunately, I think I never took pictures of the model.

wefalck