The Pacific (Monterey) Double ender. Crab and Salmon boats

Greetings gents and ladies. I'm new to the site and don't qualify to offer anything for sale, but I have over 100 color glossy photographs of MANY different variations of the Italian inspired double ended hull design of the "Monterey Clipper". I had always intended to build the one stunning model of this type, but time and cancer caught up with me first. I took these pictures of every hull I could find for about 20 years. I paid special attention to how the boats were rigged, and shot a lot of detail regarding steering stations, winches and smoke pipe  and exhaust configuration. I also have a 1947 set of lines and stations which could help to get the hull right even though it is hard to read the numbers. I don't want to trash these with all the other stuff I'm throwing out. And, I know they have some value, so at the risk of getting kicked off of here with my first post. Does anyone have an offer? img_5934b

Hello, Perry. First off, I am very sorry to hear about your medical condition -- I wish you all the encouragement I can, friend. We have, from time to time, made exceptions to our vending rules when extraordinary circumstances warrant. This sound like a wonderful collection that you have assembled, and the double-ender is just the kind of smallcraft that needs attention from the modeling community at large. It would be a terrible shame and waste to see these resources tossed out. We have some members who specialize in these kinds of working boats, thinking specifically of jhearl and FriedClams -- would love to see what either of these gentlemen could accomplish with your stuff. However it works out, I hope you are able to find a safe repository for your collection.

Very kind regards,

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Considering the regrettably low market value of your collection, I would strongly urge you to contact the J. Porter Shaw Library, Fort Mason, San Francisco, (San Francisco National Maritime Park, Golden Gate Recreational Area) (Phone: 415-561-7040) (https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/library-collections.htm) and offer to donate them to their collections. It appears that you have a valuable historic photographic record of this "endangered species" of indigenous working watercraft. I expect they would be very interested in obtaining them. I doubt they would be able to pay for them, but I expect your donation of them would be tax-deductible and your contribution would be a lasting legacy to the work you've done on the subject. I believe the J. Porter Shaw Library, a premier maritime historical research resource, is already the "go to" source for information on the Monterey-type, as it is for the lateen-rigged San Francisco Ligourian fishing boats from which they evolved.

I've just discovered another 100 or so prints. If I don't hear from anyone here, I'll certainly donate them to a maritime museum. When I was a kid just out of high school, I went to work for Harry Dring as a laborer and night watchman at the California State Maritime Historical Monument when The Thayer, the Wapama, and the Eureka were still in Alemeda. In lived in the fisherman's fo'c'sl of the Thayer. I'm also the City Historian of Mt. Shasta, CA. These won't go to waste. 

C. A. THAYER--photo of photo here..jpg

3 hours ago, Perry Sims said:

When I was a kid just out of high school, I went to work for Harry Dring as a laborer and night watchman at the California State Maritime Historical Monument when The Thayer, the Wapama, and the Eureka were still in Alemeda. In lived in the fisherman's fo'c'sl of the Thayer. I'm also the City Historian of Mt. Shasta, CA. These won't go to waste. 

Harry Dring and Karl Kortum were great guys. I'll never forget Harry's rants when we used to talk about the NPS's inability to recognize the necessity of proper maintenance on the historic fleet they inherited from the original Maritime Museum Karl Kortum and Roger Olmstead built from the ground up. You must be familiar with the J. Porter Shaw Library, then. As you probably know, J. Porter Shaw, its namesake, took a large number of glass plate negative photographs of early San Francisco shipping and waterfront life, the donation of which formed the nucleus of what became the library. You and he were kindred spirits! 

Edited by Bob Cleek