-Hello there ,

I am bout to drill the gun ports holes on my HMS Victory but I’m not sure about the position of the cannons

in the bow the gun ports getting the same curve of the ship so the big question is if to drill the hole for the dummy barrel parallel to the cannons of the middle or maybe I need to drill it 90 degrees from the gun port it means that the cannon in the bow will not be parallel to the same line of the cannons in the middle 

in the sheets of the caldercraft the cannons looks all parallel the cannon in the bow and the cannon in the middle they are the same 

also you can see here a picture from the book anatomy of the ship that all the cannons they are in the same angle 

C2DB4137-3E96-4E84-B736-BA523CB3B202.jpeg.425f2af7f5670e4d0dee2d52eca873c2.jpeg

but in the real ship it looks like the angle is changing in the bow and the cannon gettin 90 degrees from the curve gun port !

E189C8DC-9C5C-475A-8598-46CD9453C451.thumb.jpeg.38dbd5e9a17b452b8bd9a46602217b32.jpeg

So about the bow I think we have the answer 

but I have the same question about the stern there is also a curve in the ship and  I’m not sure about the cannons , in the sheets of caldercraft and also in the book of anatomy of the ship ,they looks parallel to the cannons in the middle 

but I can’t take reference from the real ship because they removed the cannons from the gun ports in this section of the ship

so I’m not sure what to do,

if you have any proof about the position of this cannon in the stern I will be more than happy to hear that 

Best regards 

Michael.

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

Michael,

In practice the cannons could be moved several degrees from centre so they could in theory, and subject to the curvature of the hull / width of the gunport, all fire at 90 degrees to the ship, but I think this would look wrong on the model and you should, in my opinion, go with 90 degrees to the hull at each gunport location, as per the real ship has them displayed.

Gary

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Michael,

In practice the cannons could be moved several degrees from centre so they could in theory, and subject to the curvature of the hull / width of the gunport, all fire at 90 degrees to the ship, but I think this would look wrong on the model and you should, in my opinion, go with 90 degrees to the hull at each gunport location, as per the real ship has them displayed.

Gary

Thank you Gary I have think about that but I wasn’t sure if the cannons can be moved to the sides because the Wheels are directed forward so how did they change the degrees ?

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

To "rotate" the cannons there was a set of "training/outhaul tackle" on each gun.  Most models only show the basic one for recoil.  The training tackle had pulleys and they also used a handspike to move the rear of the gun for training.  The outhaul could be used for training.  On some ships, there was an extra eyebolt on each side further from cannon to make training easier.

1444661370_FairAmerican18thCenturyWarBrig-1780-pg24byEricARRonndeagJr.JPG.cfb78a97c9cd3958199265bff3e18819.JPG.be9a23dc1c11226b98cf2aa7f1a40841.jpg.db68e278b9b710d3d1e788fe82b51aed.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I see you posted this twice.  So I'm moving this one to the proper forum and deleting the other.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

To "rotate" the cannons there was a set of "training/outhaul tackle" on each gun.  Most models only show the basic one for recoil.  The training tackle had pulleys and they also used a handspike to move the rear of the gun for training.  The outhaul could be used for training.  On some ships, there was an extra eyebolt on each side further from cannon to make training easier.

1444661370_FairAmerican18thCenturyWarBrig-1780-pg24byEricARRonndeagJr.JPG.cfb78a97c9cd3958199265bff3e18819.JPG.be9a23dc1c11226b98cf2aa7f1a40841.jpg.db68e278b9b710d3d1e788fe82b51aed.jpg

Thank you !

its very interesting !!