Another "entry level" kit question (have narrowed down my choices)

I have been reading the threads and pdf on entry level kits, and most agree on two things: that POB ships are generally easier to build than solid hulls, and that the kit should be one someone is interested in. In the info packed thread "what is entry level in the world...", a poster mentioned both MS's Armed VA Sloop and the Mayflower as kits that is not out of reach for a beginner.

With that said, I am considering either of those two kits as my first wooden ship. I really like both for different reasons and have seen the Mayflower II and have a lot of pictures of it, too. Are either of these two ships a decent choice?

As I said in my original thread about entry level kits, I have been building resin/plastic models (ships, planes, etc) for a long time - and to include the wooden r/c planes, also. I want to get into wooden ship modeling because I like the challenge - and after seeing a guy working on a model of the Constitution in Boston, I have the fever (did I mention that I am a Constitution freak?)!

Thanks for any advice and help you can provide!

Eric

I don't know about the POB being easier than solid hull. Solid hull is supposed to be easier because you don't have to plank it always and if you do you have a nice flat, solid surface to work against. You also don't have the issues generally of twisted bulkhead lumber causing you issues.

Any kit can in theory be constructed by a beginner, some just take more patience.

The Model Shipways Mayflower would be a good choice. This kit was designed by Chuck Passaro. I am sure it has really good instructions and plans. Plus, Chuck is here on MSW and can help with any questions you might have in the build. I am sure the AVS kit is also good, but with such resources, I would go for the Mayflower.

Russ

Although I haven't built either, I'd recommend the AVS as it is double plank on bulkhead and I think that is very important to a novice modeler.
The first layer of planking is thick enough to give you good experience in cutting and fitting planking. Then, when you are done, you can take a look at the hull, use wood filler to correct any big problems and then do the second layer of planking, which is usually paper thin. It's easier to cut and with the experience gained from the first layer, gives you the opportunity to achieve a good looking hull.
I'm not sure how much it would cost to purchase a set of thin planks to do a second layer on the mayflower hull, but you could undoubtedly buy the wood if you really like the look, shape and history of that ship.

I also can't recommend Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified" highly enough. MS plans are great, but I think Mastini does a really good job of giving builders a good overall picture of what to do and why.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I'm on the Caldercraft Badger as my first kit.  It has great instructions, nice fittings (though the wood is a bit sketchy), and can be modified to add nice details.  Oh, and it's a nice looking ship too. :D

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm on the Caldercraft Badger as my first kit.  It has great instructions, nice fittings (though the wood is a bit sketchy), and can be modified to add nice details.  Oh, and it's a nice looking ship too. :D

Checked out your build log - it looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how was that for your first ship and did you have any wood working experience beforehand? I am very impressed with your work!

Although I haven't built either, I'd recommend the AVS as it is double plank on bulkhead and I think that is very important to a novice modeler.

The first layer of planking is thick enough to give you good experience in cutting and fitting planking. Then, when you are done, you can take a look at the hull, use wood filler to correct any big problems and then do the second layer of planking, which is usually paper thin. It's easier to cut and with the experience gained from the first layer, gives you the opportunity to achieve a good looking hull.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to purchase a set of thin planks to do a second layer on the mayflower hull, but you could undoubtedly buy the wood if you really like the look, shape and history of that ship.

I also can't recommend Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified" highly enough. MS plans are great, but I think Mastini does a really good job of giving builders a good overall picture of what to do and why.

Thanks for the input! Might just go with the AVS because of what you said and the fact that I like the cannons! :D I do need the planking prep - I snapped up a MS Constitution at a great price for much later down the road...

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Checked out your build log - it looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how was that for your first ship and did you have any wood working experience beforehand? I am very impressed with your work!

Hi Spaceman, thanks for the kind words.  It was actually my first ship and first wood working experience, so there was some learning on the job that I had to do :)

I picked this kit because of the good instruction manual, the fact that Caldercraft kits are known for their quality of components (though, the walnut wood could have been a bit better in my opinion), and because it wasn't a weekend kit.  I figured I wanted something that would be a challenge to keep my interest, yet not be too challenging to make me frustrated and not complete it.  For a first time, I would recommend getting something with very detailed instructions to at least help out with the basics and general tips.  Here are the Badger instructions in case you are interested:

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Manuals_Badger.htm

There are also plenty of ways to modify the kit if you should like.  I ended up doing more accurate rigging of the cannons, added treenails to the deck, made the chimney out of brass tubing, and plan to add furled sails.  Another great thing about this particular kit is that at least at the time of MSW 1.0, there were lots of build logs out there.  I'm always happy to help out with any questions, and I'm sure the rest of my "Badger Brothers" on here are willing to do the same.

Other kits I thought about were the MS AVS and the MS or Amati Bluenose.  I think there are very detailed practicums available online for both.  I didn't go with the AVS because I wanted something a little more challenging with two masts versus one mast.  I didn't choose the Bluenose because I wanted to work on a fighting ship, but that seems like a very nice model as well.  One thing to consider is that the AVS is 1:48 scale, which means the small parts are less fiddly.  It was a bit of a shock when I opened up the Badger kit and saw how small some of the pieces actually were at 1:64 scale.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.  Some people want a very basic model to get their feet wet on and see if they are going to stay interested in the hobby.  I figured I would like the hobby as I enjoyed doing small plastic models as a kid, so I wanted something that would both be a learning experience and offer a bit of a challenge.

Good luck with whatever you pick - they are all nice kits :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the input! Might just go with the AVS because of what you said and the fact that I like the cannons! :D I do need the planking prep - I snapped up a MS Constitution at a great price for much later down the road...

I agree with the double POB comment - the first planking for me was a bit rough, but I got the hang of it so the second went much smoother.

The Constitution looks like a fantastic kit.  I ended up getting the Corel Unicorn and MS Charles Morgan for a great price for when I finish my Badger.  Eventually, I'd love to work on the Constitution or one of the newer big kits from either MS or Amati.

Mike