HMS Terror by Paul_S - OcCre - Scale 1:75

Hi all

Having completed my last build, the Lady Nelson and being pretty chuffed with the outcome, I'm moving on to the next which arrived today.

My nephew has been fascinated with my last build and has been begging me to make a boat for him so i let him have a look through a list of models and pick one he likes.  He saw HMS terror and said 'I'm a terror, I want that one' so thats the one he gets.  It also seems like a decent natural progression to move from a single masted ship to a double masted with the extra complexity that brings.

The box arrived today and looks quite pretty with a little display window for the fancy bits

image.thumb.png.eeb53878f9ee4514c215d2805c66731a.png

and a close up of the fancy bits 

image.png.ad076295cde10d024e578121b14407e3.png

A lot of these seem to look a bit plasticy so I'm considering ditching them and replacing with some wooden ones as they seem to look quite a bit nicer.  I'm also not keen on the little metal boats so I reckon I'm going to try scratch building some (Dunno how easy that will be to do such small ones so that might change) That will be a first for me so will be interesting for sure.

The main parts 

image.png.3599a87141b31b8a5d80c5053b3622de.png

Seem to all be in decent shape and none of the warping that i've heard from some accounts on here.  A little worried about the gap in the dark brown one hoping its intentional and not a missing piece.

image0.jpg?width=476&height=635

The threads and the sails.  This will be my first time using sails, and still not 100% sure I want to use them as I like the sail-less look, but I guess that will be up to my nephew.

image.png.cac1c880ef68f27c3e6c1bba7afcccf4.png

Finally the wood, looks really nice, no bits chipped off or flaking, the thin veneer for the 2nd planking looks really nice and bendy so should go on really easily.

The instructions at first glance look to be very pretty but also seem to have lots of random pictures of someone gently caressing the model with a dry brush and not so much info on how to actually go about building it

I'm also going to try something a bit different and live stream some of my building efforts.  If anyone wants to have a look, offer advice, or mock what i'm doing i can found at http://www.twitch.tv/sirrod (I know a lot of places have rules against self promoting streams and apologies if that is the case here).  I do stream other stuff there too so if i'm not building you might catch something weird.

Overall I'm looking forward to building this one, the step up in difficulty should be fun especially if I have to wrestle with the instructions to make progress

-Paul

1 minute ago, Paul_S said:

I'm also not keen on the little metal boats

I'm not certain how if they would work as replacements but several different manufacturers offer small boat kits. Master Korabel has two ship's boats and a yawl of different sizes, Vanguard models has an 18 ft cutter and I would guess there might be more that I can't think of off the top of my head that you might take a look at (if you want). I think Model shipways has some options as well, but I've read that those are a little tricky.

1 hour ago, clearway said:

Welcome to the hms terror club😁, for further info on how to improve the kit see keith s and my logs where we obtained different spares to upgrade occre fittings (depends how in depth you want to go in altering occres mistakes).

Keith

I'm not really worried about historical accuracy(not sure if that will get me banned or shot or something!), but might take a look at it.  I just want to make something that looks nice.  So mostly interested in making it look less plasticy