Mainsail rigging question

If you can, upload a photo or copy of the drawing.  It'll help us sort this out.

And yes, at times, MSW can be pretty overwhelming.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

IMG_3082.JPG

Top pencil marks where I two-blocked, leaving the sail loose, so I moved that rigging up. (See my photos.)

2ed, 3ed & 4th pencil are the three rings holding the mainsail to the mast. Not distance from third to boom.

5th pencil points to floating boom. In my photos (in the constructions area, for which I forgot the name) I put in a downhaul.

Perhaps this is an historic rigging. I can't photo the English version of this ships history, if you with.

Thanks for looking.   

Hi Jerry,

I am also just finishing the Sloup and had the same questions as you.  I decided that the rings did not look right so I replaced them with a thick rope lashing the mainsail to the mast in a series of loops which is the way I have seen it done on similar models of French fishing boats.  And I added a downhaul on the boon by looping a chain over the boom and attaching to a deadeye in the deck just aft of the mast.

Odd thing with my kit was that the sails were both over a cm  too small in each dimension compared to the plan so I made my own.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Clive:

I found the sails too big. Seems they built the ship on paper, then the ship. My Gaff risers went two-block and left the sail slack. So I moved the block rigging up a centimeter. Sill had mainsail problems, but I noticed on seeing other models, everybody has. So I trimmed the sales and made do. 

I still can't find out why only 3 mainsail rings and why so high - and no boom downhaul. I've sailed a 90' Baltic gaff-rigged schooner (flat bottom) and had rings all the way up the main. I have his question elsewhere on this site; I just haven't learned how to move around yet.

Jerry

My other work:

18th Century Longboat (1750-1760) - Jerry Sturdivant - Model - Shipways Scale 1:48                 

Sloup Coquillier (1912+) - Jerry Sturdivant - Corel Scale 125