Sailset for 74 gun ship

pilidk

Hello, I am building a shipmodel " Le Superbe" of the 74 gunship from Mantua in scale 1:75

I have made several modelships before and used a contact in Eastern Europa (Radek) for

making the set of sails needed for the models.

Now, the contact is not responding anymore, therefore I am looking for a expert

in sail making for modelships.

Do you know anybody making those kind of sails?

Best regards

Jean-Philippe Simon

In the good old days of the Seaway's Ships in Scale forum, there was a woman called Wendy from Australia, who used to take custom orders for making sails for models. I don't know her personally and never ordered anything from her, but supposedly her sails were excellent.

If you are interested, I could get you in touch with someone who got her sails, and find out if she is still active.

Thomas

Hej Jean-Philippe,

Please do consider making your own.  David Antscherl has written a VERY detailed piece on how to make sails from silk span and based on his work over the years, I am going to be using this in my upcoming sail making adventure.   It is a supplemental booklet that comes with Volume IV of The Fully Framed Model.   I will be posting on this in the next month or two so you will be hearing from a newbie when using this method. 

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I have just ordered the booklet about sailmaking from Seawatch Books.

I have all 4 Boudriot books about the 74 gunship, but i think that

the chapter on sailmaking is very small and there are few drawings.

Once again, Thanks !

Best regards

Jean-Philippe

Bonjour Jean-Philippe

I had taken a sail making seminar held by David Antcherl and I have his booklet.

I agree that this method produces very realistic, lifelike, sails.

You should not be disappointed.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On 10/20/2020 at 10:48 AM, pilidk said:

Hi Thomas Dziadeczek

If you could find her contact, I will be very grateful :)

Best regards

Jean-Philippe

Here is an email address I got earlier today from a friend in Canada for Wendy in Australia, (he uses her sewing skills for his models and swears by her).

shipwheel@bigpond.com

He also took the trouble to inform her that you would be inquiring about the sail set for your model. So, I think she will be expecting your email soon and you both can discuss the particulars.

Regards,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:42 PM, allanyed said:

David Antscherl

Anybody selling the booklet or a web copy of the sail rigging from David Antscheri?

Cannot find it anywhere on the web for sale .

Please??

Best regards

Jean-Philippe Simon

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello Allan,

I have tried three times to order that book from them.

All three times failed, due to an issue with their payment modul.

I have written to them, but didn't get an answer- yet.

They may be out of business due to the pandemic?

Thanks for the advice :)

Best regards

Jean-Philippe

Bob Friedman has had health issues (nothing to do with Corona virus)  the past year or so thus the responses have been sporadic.    Others have had similar situations but turns out to be OK in the end.   As far as payment methods, I have no idea what that is about, perhaps others here that have had success in ordering a book for shipment to the EU can give some comment/advice.

Allan