Prime coating the hull

Presently the hull painting of Atlantic is on pause awaiting delivery of a waterline marker. I've been going over the hull filling in, sanding and re-priming scratched surfaces that the primer has made obvious. What I did next was use 0000 steel wool to smooth it down resulting in the hull prime coat becoming as slick and shiny as a cue ball. My question, is this a good thing or a bad thing? And what remedial action needed if any. I searched the website for priming hulls and couldn't find any posts utilizing steel wool for the prime coat. 

34B84ABC-41A0-4A8C-B2C7-560A033555F8.jpeg

Completed builds - Atlantic

Do not worry. The smoother the better. You will not regret the work you put in preparing the surface for paint. The primer magnifies faults 10 times, the paint a hundred. 

0000 wool is something like 400-600 grit I would think. No issues, both acrylics and enamels will love your smooth primed surface.

Thank you Wefalk. The primer and paints I'm using are True North brand supplied by Bluejacket Shipcrafters. There are thin spots exposing the wood but I'm covering them with primer and wool sanding as well.

And thank you likewise Vaddoc. Its good to hear your comments on the advantage of a smooth primed surface. I'm looking forward to laying down the bottom paint shortly.

Edited by closehaul

Completed builds - Atlantic