Euromodel Royal William Kit age?

Guybrush

Hey gang,

I purchased Euromodel's Royal William kit at a thrift shop at what I think is a bargain price. I'm not ready to build it but sometimes you just can't let a deal go! I'm just curious about the origins of the kit and the changes that have been made since it was first introduced and I'm hoping some members could shed some light on it. I'd also like know if the deal I got was therefore actually a deal.

The kit is in opened condition but the contents have not been touched. All wood, fittings, blocks and rope remain in their sealed packages and boxes. Bulkheads are NOT laser cut. Dowels appear pre-tapered.

I've heard tell that the metal fittings are considered sharper in old kits due to the casts being newer.

I'm just interested in what might be new or different in a modern Royal William kit, as mine is obviously and older version.

Sean

I can't say with any authority whether Euromodel has ever updated any of their kit range. If they have, I have no knowledge of it, and I have had my ear to the ship modeling ground for 20 years now. What I do know is that their kits are generally highly esteemed, and Royal William is definitely one of their flagship models. Their current MSRP for that kit is 1373 Euros, so you can use that as a starting point to judge how great of a deal you got (bearing in mind that a retailer may charge only 80-85% of that price -- plus tax and shipping).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Sean - I have built the Royal William & the bulkheads & other structural parts were laser cut,which would indicate I built a newer version.  However,even at that ,many of the other parts needed to be scratch built  or shaped from the supplied timber.   This kit is a major undertaking & I would not recommend it to someone who has only built one kit.   Having said that,I wish you the best if you decide to go ahead with it.  I don`t know about the older kits,but the cast decorations in mine were excellent & the dowels were not pre-tapered.  The kit contains only very sparse instructions,but the plan sheets are outstanding.  The Euromodel website has much more detailed instructions written by a fellow modeler & member of Model Ship World.   His name is Peter Coward & goes by the name of pirate pete007.  You may want to contact him using the personal message function for more detailed info.  It does build into a real beauty if you have plenty of time & patience!

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Thanks for the reply Mark, I'm very familiar with your build log of the Royal William and it's a major source of inspiration for me. I'm sure I'll be referring to it when I decide to start my model.

I've checked Pete's detailed instructions and they look to be invaluable to the build.

I agree with putting it off until I have at least one more model under my belt. Fortunately I have another project in mind that I want to complete first. On top of that I don't even think I have the physical space to start a project the size of the Royal William! What are people's thoughts on doing a project like that piecemeal until I have space? For example, constructing cannons, spars, deck furniture etc.?

Sean

Nothing wrong with spacing it out as long as you have a safe place to store all the sub-assemblies & can remember where you left off.   I tend to lose my train of thought if I put things aside for too long,but that`s just me:D.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways