Glue first layer planks?

Hi.  Not sure I understand your question.  Not sure how you would get there.  Most best practices I've seen are to install the false deck before the first planking, to give the hull more stability when you plank.  Maybe you could supply more info or some photos.  Photos are big here.

And BTW, welcome to this site.  It is a fabulous place to learn many techniques.  There is a forum where you can introduce yourself and share your interests.  You'll get some attention from the crew here.  Also opening a build log here is a best practice.  When you hit a roadblock and post to your log, it's a place where some of the veterans can advise on solutions.

Welcome and good luck.

John

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

May I ask what your reasoning behind this would be? I can think of situations where it may be a good idea, but I don’t think it would be necessary the majority of the time.

If you are concerned I would do it. It won't hurt and you don't want to keep wondering whether it is strong enough. Whether it is actually necessary is difficult to say. If you did not fair the frames properly there may not have been sufficient area for the glue to hold. Although if you used CA glue it won't need a lot to start with. Also, if you edge glued the planks it will likely not be required.

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

Do you feel like your planks required a lot of force to fit them on the first planking? The second layer shouldn’t really pull on the first layer. If you’re concerned I would brush some on at the bulkheads but I probably wouldn’t do the entire hull. I think the advice above makes sense, it’s not going to hurt anything and if you think it’s needed then go for it.