Colonial Brig Perserverance 1807 kit

S.Coleman

I have ordered the colonial brig Perserverance c 1807 from Modelers shipyard. Has anyone done a build log on this ship or can anyone tell me about constructing this kit? Any errors to look out for etc......

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Yes, go to modelersshipyard.com and in the kit section it is in there own selection of modelers shipyard kits. I will post a review on this and also start a build log on this ship since I have now got my camera finally.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Guest midnight

I'm currently building the Perserverance now , just about finished the second planking . No errors yet (apart from my own mistakes) When i ordered mine i got the Mahogany replaced with Tanganika . It will definitely turn into a great looking model . I haven't started  a build log .  

Wow! tell us about the dvds? are the good? Does he do a good job of leading you thru the build?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Yes I got the DVDs with the kit as well. Some samples of the DVDs are on You Tube. The set I have ordered all up runs up to just over 4 hours. There are all sorts of DVDs you can choose from.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

• 3 months later...

I'll look forward to a build log, as I love the look of this ship

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

• 1 month later...

A few months ago now I acquired the Perseverance Deluxe Kit that included the copper sheathing, but I couldn't recommend that version - the copper plates provided have the half- circular dimples that are 1 mm across (which scale up to 48mm or nearly two inches), spaced evenly across the plate.

post-8306-0-60681200-1384855188_thumb.jpg

When I pointed out to Colonial Shipyards that it was highly unlikely that any ship would have set sail with golf balls half embedded in the hull they became very defensive, stating that the copper plates varied enormously and asking who was I to criticise them !

When I get around to starting the model I'll have to try and make a jig to flatten the bulges and put in some proper nailing patterns, but for now I'm stuck with the things as Colonial Shipyards just don't want to know. A few minutes ago I had a look at their web site and the same plates with the same pattern are advertised, so nothing much has changed.

Other than that, I was quite pleased with the kit, which I intend to use as the basis for a model of the Amity.

I hope this is of some interest to others.

Regards,

Danny

• 1 month later...

I completed the kit Perseverance some time ago (see attached photo) I was quite happy with the plans, both on paper and video - although I found some of  Leon Griffiths methods a little `rough and ready.' I completed the standard kit so it did not have the copper plates. I did make a couple of adjustments to the kit however. The dowel supplied for the bowsprit was 12mm (the same as the lower masts). I felt that this was a bit too big and replaced it with 10mm. I also reduced the height of the main companionway by about 15mm. To my eye it looked like an outback dunny as it was in the plan. I also used only one lifeboat on the deck and planked it. It was very difficult to find any other references during the build. The only one I could find was a photo of an old model used as a trophy in a Sydney yacht club. The companionway on this model  was a completely different shape to that in the kit. I have completed a number of kits from the Modeller's Shipyard ( Mermaid, Schooner of Port Jackson, Sirius Life Boat) and I a currently working on the Norfolk.  Generally speaking they are of quite good quality. I have made some  modifications to all these kits - usually replacing ply components with solid timber. However, I would have to agree with Danny - they don't like it if you express any criticism of their kits!!

Cheers

Hornet

post-1505-0-38281400-1388790861_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

More completed Perseverance Pics from Hornet .......

post-1505-0-48175900-1388791372_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-89035500-1388791400_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-28412300-1388791455_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-13226600-1388791502_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina