Mast Tackle top - Revenge 1577

I'm looking at the plans for the mast tackle rigging (picture included) and I'm not sure what happens to them where they meet the mast (red circles). Do they cross over and continue to the other side or is each side tied off independently at the mast. If each side is independent would they be looped over the mast or tied at an eyebolt?

I'd also like to understand what function they have since the shrouds seem to be the main support of the mast there.

mast tackle.jpg

The top of the mast tackle pendants are rigged in the same manner as the shrouds, with an eye turned in at the masthead.  In the first picture where there is a single pendant it would have its eye over the mast head.  For the second picture where there are two pendants per side they go on in pairs like the shrouds where a bight is formed and seized together around the mast head.  In both cases the mast tackle pendant will be wormed, parcelled, and served and in some cases leathered at the eye where it passes around the mast head.

There are essentially two functions for the mast tackles.  The first is to haul taut the shrouds when setting up the deadeye laniards.  This is why the mast tackle pendants go over the mast head first before the shroud pairs.  The second function is when they are rigged and employed for heavy lifting, such as when lifting aboard cannons and the like.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Hi Jonathon, 

I agree with Henry's description as it is the same description that Lees wrote in the Masting and Rigging  English Ships of War which is also my #1 go-to for rigging information for British ships in the time line he covers.  But in some cases the pendants of the tackles may have been cut spliced with one length running down each side.  (Longridge - The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships, page 213).   Same was done for the burton pendants on the mizen.   If having to choose one or the other I would go with Lee's description, but it may help if you would let us know what vessel you are building to be sure.  From the picture on the right it looks to be pre-18th century.

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU