Hi from Qc, Canada

Hi everyone,

My name is Hugo and I just found what I can call an old schooner yatch made by my grandfather.

I found it in the attic while cleaning the house before selling it...

My grandfather was a fisherman from Nova Scotia and died almost 20yrs ago at the respecful age of 103yrs old leaving behind him all kinds of things related to sailing and fishing.

I would like to keep this little yatch and maybe restore it.

I would like to know what you guys think? It has nothing to do with money and Im aware that this model doesnt worth anything but it would look very good In our living room.

As I want to keep it as originial as possible I can see the paint could be redone as well as the sail which turned yellow pretty badly.

The whole thing seems perfectly functional the governor and sails move freely.

So were should I stop.

The only ship I can think of when I see it is the Bluenose...

It would make sense as my grandfather and the original Bluenose comes from the same place.

Ive seen a couple pictures of the Bluenose and Bluenose II and it defenately look like it!

Tell me your impression on what I should do or not to keep most of its antique look while making it presentable.

As you can see I didnt even clean the thing so this is the real first step!

Thanks alot

Hugo

20201213_110048.jpg

20201213_110107.jpg

20201213_110057.jpg

20201213_110036.jpg

20201213_105939.jpg

20201213_110117.jpg

Hello Hugo, and a warm welcome to the fourm from down under.

What a treasure you have there - a model built by your grandfather.

How far you go is, of course, entirely up to you, but if it were mine I'd do as little as possible to it.  A good (but gentle) clean to remove the dust and accumulated grime  is the obvious first step. Once she's clean you can sit back and reassess the situation.  The sails have obviously had a hard life, but they add character and age to the model.  If you do finally decide to replace them, you'll need to find cloth that looks the age of the model so they don't stand out 'like a sore thumb'.

John

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Hugo!

That's a wonderful project you're undertaking. I'd agree with Jim Lad - do no more than you absolutely have to. You might like to use the search function (top right of this page) for the word "restoration"  to see what others have done in this line with much-loved old models. (I'm currently restoring a model I made when I was 17, and it's been quite a journey!)

And start a build log - so we can all see your progress, and so you can get help and advice with your project. And ask questions if you hit problems - everybody's very helpful and friendly here. Instructions for a "scratch" build log are here:

Best wishes with it,

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly