Restoring large model of WWII Battleship USS Alabama

Whilst reading 'USS Bonhomme Richard on Fire' https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25040-uss-bonhomme-richard-on-fire/?tab=comments#comment-776194   

...I ended up on  'VIDEO: Navy Restoring Unique Parade Float Based on WWII Battleship USS Alabama' ...   https://news.usni.org/2020/12/16/video-navy-restoring-unique-parade-float-based-on-wwii-battleship-uss-alabama   ....now that is a large model! 

Was the model made in an actual Naval shipyard...I can see it is being refurbished in Norfolk Naval Shipyard? Is it made mostly of wood, or sheet steel?

Richard         

That thing is huge! 

being a parade float I would imagine they would need to keep the weight down in order to be pulled by a truck. I couldn’t find any thing on the construction but if I were building it I would think a sheet metal hull would do the trick and then maybe a spray in foam or something to fill the inside and then probably wood for the decks? I have no idea how it was made but it is pretty cool! 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Yeah, it would need to be quite light as you say. But I suspect there must be a steel beam of sorts running down the length of it to stop it breaking it's back when being moved. Then build everything around the beam.

I wonder if it was a shipyard apprentices' project or maybe trainee naval architects? The fact that it is being refurbished in a naval shipyard give me the impression it was originally made to a decent standard.

Richard

Good point, if the navy is spending money restoring it then it must have been built well. I could see it being a project for a shipyard apprentice, i could even see this as a commission for some well respected ship modeler at the time it was built.

I’m thinking about it now as if i were to build it and i would build frames of some kind, maybe like you said a beam that holds it all together, or even vertical beams supporting the decks. They picked it up with a crane and nothing moved so it looks well build. Very interesting!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)