CA Gluing Planks over Elmer's Color Change Wood Filler

I'm nearly finished 2nd planking my Lady Nelson.  The 1st planking gaps were filled with Elmer's Color Change Wood filler.  I am using CA to glue the 2nd planks and have not had any adhesion problems, yet.

While dry fitting a 2nd plank, I took off too much of what it was going to lay on, a continuos run amidships of about 5 inches.  As a result the plank was would be significantly lower than it's adjacent plank.  So I filled that run the underlying area for that plank with the same Elmer's filler and waiting for it to dry.

My question is can I continue to use CA for this plank or should I go to PVA?

Thanks...John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

I think it depends on how "tight" the outside planking is, and whether or not the plank fits perfectly in place without really needing to be glued to the underlying surface.  If it were me, I'd probably dremel out the underlying filler and reinstall a new plank on top of the "old",  and sand to the correct depth to ensure the outside planking had a solid and long-lasting surface to adhere to.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt tho.  I'm famous for going with the most difficult and unwieldy approach whenever possible. :D

Alan

I agree with Alan and would remove the errant plank or at least the glue and put in a laminate to get to the correct thickness.  As to what glue?  I have no idea if either CA or PVA will bond the second plank layer to the filler that you used but both are meant to bond  wood to the wood, not to a layer of filler.  As you move forward, consider that there are those that love CA, especially when in a rush. Others prefer PVA  as it is not so quick in curing and the plank can be worked a bit once it has been shaped to fit.  If the plank is properly reduced in width as you move forward and widened aft and pre-bent as Chuck Passaro has demonstrated here at MSW so well, or spiled as described by David Antscherl in detail in his write up also here at MSW, it can be held in place with finger pressure for 30 seconds or a minute even if using PVA.   Consider that PVA does not have the fumes that will irritate your eyes, nose, throat and lungs which is probably not a good thing considering how many planks you have to glue so may be worth the extra few seconds it takes if you go with PVA.  The pluses and minuses of PVA versus CA continues to be discussed here at MSW quite often and there are advocates of both so pick what works best for you.   PVA has been around since 1912 and CA has been around since 1942 so they both have something of a  proven track record.     

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Alan and Allan, I'm not sure you understand my issue which is my fault.  I edited my first post and hopefully it is clearer now.  I didn't actually install the 2nd plank I was dry fitting.  I just built up, with water-based filler, what would be under that plank.  The port side is complete with 25 x planks, I have 6 x planks left to install on the starboard side and I'm done with planking the hull, all using CA (well maybe not the plank under discussion).

Thanks...John

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)