Surface Planer (Jointer)

Hi all,

I've just noticed that Proxxon has released a mini planer (jointer):

http://www.proxxonworld.com.au/product/surface_planer_ah_80

New to us here in Oz but seems to have been available overseas earlier.  And I'mm sure there's a Micromark or similar variant floating around.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had experience with it? 

I've looked at benchtop planers before, but they've had issues: hard to adjust, tables not true, loud motor, etc.  This looks a bit more user-firendly and accurate.  But at over $400 plus delivery it's a lot for something if it doesn't work.

So just keen to see if there's any feedback, or is it something you'd use or like to have?  I like the idea of planing small pieces of wood - cleaner and faster than sanding, but impossible on a 6" machine!  I have the Byrnes thickness sander but this could be a good complement to get one edge true for thicknessing, or for tapering planks, milling small pieces accurately, etc.

Regards,
Darren

Current Projects:

1/48 HMS Sirius cross-section by Modeler's Shipyard

1/72 HMS Vanguard cross section based on Victory Models full kit (researching)

Projects Awaiting Start:

1/48 HMS Endeavour cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/72 HMS Victory cross-section (DeAgnosti)

1/24 Armed Longboat & English Pinnace (Model Shipways)

• 7 months later...

Looks pretty neat ,but I think a cheaper Chinese model would probably suffice for the amount a model builder would use it . I've got an old 1950s era Delta bench model jointer that I got at a garage sale for $30. Took it down to the car wash and pressure washed it. Rpainted it and sent the blades out for sharpening. Works great. My jig saw is the same only I got it free. Check garage sales folks one can get a good deal. Ask to plug em in and see how they work. Check bearings for slop and side play. Look for missing guides and adjustment knobs etc. Sale season is just around the corner. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

There is a DIY design for a jointer in a back issue of NRJ (Nautical Research Journal) http://www.thenrg.org/the-journal.php .  It was in the late '70s I think.  NRJ will provide reprints of old articles and I believe there is a complete index online.  Just can't find the URL at the moment.  Anyway it uses a dremel tool for power and looks like it would be more than adequate for any work you might need on a model.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

When I look at the machine you are interested in, it is a planer, not a 'jointer'.

There are machines for the wood workers that combine the two functions, but this does not look like one.

Here is the difference (according to one article I read):

"A jointer is used to create smooth, flat surfaces along the four edges of a piece of wood. A planer cuts wood into the desired thickness, while creating perfectly parallel surfaces".

I believe that jointers are used to create those 'edges' so they can be joined. While planers just create good, parallel surfaces. So, if you want to do both, look elsewhere for a machine that can do both.

I have an old planer and it does not cut or smooth the side edges.

post-246-0-90754400-1393724845_thumb.jpg

I know, some one is going to say that after you band-saw off the edges, you can turn the piece on edge and 'plane' the other sides.

Here is an interesting demo, but all of this is for big pieces of wood:

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thing of it is ,you need to use a jointer to get one side true and flat, then you use the thicknesser, planer, to true the other side to the first. Same if you're using a sander thicknesser. Its hard to get a jointer to cut one side parallel to the first.   BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren