Colin Archer RS1 by Geam - Billing Boats - 1/15 scale

As mentioned in my Fisher34 build log, I have two Billings Colin Archer kits 1/15th scale in the cellar store-room. One of them is now in the broom-closet in my apartment, and the build has just started. Some work was started last summer, but the Fisher soon had full focus again, and the Colin Archer went down again!

Andreas Sundt has posted a lot of his Colin Archer build already, so I won't be trying to compete with his efforts. I will however post a few words and photos, as there will probably be some differences between our respective builds.   

Cross-beams only loosely fitted.They'll be heated and straightened before installing. 6Kg of ballast added in bilges, and a removeable cover made in 3mm light-ply.'

George

20210517_085838.jpg

20210517_085901.jpg

20210521_000542.jpg

20210521_145343.jpg

Due to the kit being so old, many of the long parts had fallen out of their surrounds and had bent or warped. The parts have been soaked in hot water and laid flat under pressure to straighten.

The U/J in the kit is a very old deseign. The plastic part was not moulded well and does not run 'true'. A new, more modern coupling has been ordered and will come in the post next week.

20210522_185405.jpg

20210522_185933.jpg

I have both models of the Waverly life boat.......seems to have the same hull assembly sequence,  although I don't recall either one having any sort of frame work.  really doesn't make me warm and fuzzy concerning their sturdiness.  perhaps one of these days your Archer will make it out of the closet ;) 

I really wouldn't be too concerned about the warpage.......I'm sure there are stringers that still need to be added ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Popeye,

yes, there are a few stringers which will help to hold the beams straight. I don't want any 'bending forces' built in to the deck frame though, so will try to get the beams straight-ish before epoxying  in place. They have been soaked for a second time and are now clamped together until needed.

The instructions  indicate that the deck can go on quite early in the build but I prefer to prepare the R/C installation and some interior detail first - while everything is easily accessed.😀

George

22 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

George, Looking forward to seeing her on water.  I'm contemplating my first RC build in 40 years (!?). Where does one obtain lead shot nowadays?

Not sure if you can buy 'real' lead any more. The shot I have used comes from Krick in Germany. They sell it for their yacht models. It consists of 1mm dia. iron shot. Not as dense as lead but heavy enough. The iron shot is so small that it actually 'flows' into place. Diving gear shops also sell weights, but I don't know what shape or size.  Car accessories shops sell wheel-balancing weights which I think are made of ZInc. These will nedd more volume than iron or lead shot. Fishing gear shops too!

George