San Francisco by smarinid - Artesania Latina - 1:90

Well here goes nothin.

Decided to brave a build log for my San Fran. My first ever build (John Alden sloop) was posted when finished. It may not have even been finished had it not been for another MSW member (rlb) who was gracious enough to re-post his pics after the the "great crash". Again, I thank you.

I have questions (already...lol) about my SF so I thought it might be time to pick the brains of those in the know. 

In the pic below, I have arrows pointing to the area of the bulkheads that I am concerned will make the planking go awry. As you can see the blkhd (#s 4-7) does not transition around to the keel area in a smooth circular fashion ( as in the case of blkhd #3) but rather curved then semi straight then curved again. My question is, Does this area need to be removed to make a more smooth transition or will it not affect the planking too noticeably? I was looking on the SF build of vulcanbomber (Caroline) and it did not appear to have been removed. If it needs to be removed, I think it best that I do it prior to gluing the bulkheads. Yes? No?

post-66-0-77189700-1374078857_thumb.png

The other question I have (and it might be a dumb one) is the arrow at the rear top (transom area?). This appears it will need to be level with the false keel.  

Mark S.

1st Build : John Alden Sloop / kit bashed

Caroline has been so kind as to reply and let's me know that I have nothing to worry about. I am thrilled to be able get the ball rolling on this build finally.

Thanks again Caroline.

Mark

Mark S.

Well, it would seem that issues may be something to deal with throughout this build :angry: .

As I began attaching the bulkheads, I was stopped in my tracks on blkhd #3. I'ts warped. :huh:  I live in Michigan and for the last week or so the temps have been running in the high 90's with the humidity between 85 and 90 something % I am not sure how well you might be able to see it in the pic but I certainly can in person. So, it's off to try to remedy this situation with the many ideas I have seen posted on MSW. If not, then it will be all about making another bulkhead from scratch. Oh well, I guess if it wasn't sometimes trying, then it may not be as fun building as it is. Upward and onward!  :P

post-66-0-78671700-1374246564.png

post-66-0-32773700-1374247718.png

Mark S.

Hmm, that is warped. One solution might be to wet it slightly.

Like the underside of a shriveling leaf, the plywood’s concave side has lost moisture and shrunk. Reversing the warp can be accomplished by adding moisture to this concave side and drying the convex humped side. Use a sponge to wet the concave side of the plywood (hot water works best). Then lay the sheet, moist side down. A heavy book on top will help to flatten it as it dries out.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Sounds like a plan Caroline, Thanks. I currently have the others in the coolest spot in the house and under books. I am hoping that will discourage them from doing the same. I will likely wait until tomorrow to try and fix it, when the heat index should be below the 110 it's been for about the last week. C'mon rain!

Mark

Edited by smarinid

Mark S.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally. Decking is planked and applied. Tedious work to say the least. A word to the wise. When attempting to glue small pieces of your build (like small pieces of planking) with wood glue (by finger method) ALWAYS have a damp rag nearby to clean off excess glue or it will spread everywhere you do not intend it to.

I found that the area in the next 2 pics, did not line up exactly so some adjustments, ie; sanding, trimming, will need to be done

post-66-0-56828600-1375886170.jpg

post-66-0-93748800-1375886644.jpg

In this next pic, I wasn't certain of the correct wood stock to use or of it's exact placement. You can see what I have done but I think level with the deck was not right. Directly under the inside trim board (the longest trim piece center of the pic) was the planked wall. The placement of the trim caused it to sit on top of the wall which would have thrown off several areas. So I used my trusty Dremel tool and removed the trim board from beneath the decking as to ensure the proper fit.

post-66-0-49594600-1375887037.jpg

The next pic shows the bow area which will need some adjustment as well. With luck, not too much. The one on the right is (except for some adjustments) the semi-finished product.

post-66-0-44451500-1375887227.jpgpost-66-0-30248800-1375887340.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to figure out what wood stock to use throughout the rest of the build. I have (on the color directions sheet) a color code for the types of stock however the right size and sometimes shape is difficult to decipher.

Ooops!post-66-0-57298700-1375887629.jpg

No I did not plank the lower deck. Only very little of it will be seen and once the finished product is in its case, one would have to look hard to see it.

Edited by smarinid

Mark S.

I have discovered a new issue! Yea!!

As you can see in the pic, if I line up the bow area of the bulwarks, the rear of the bulwarks is too high. To line it up as directed with no deviations would mean that the side hull area of the bulwarks would be too low for the decking.

post-66-0-35776900-1376185331.jpg

post-66-0-09060200-1376185377.jpg

To cure this I can only think to add a bit of wood stock to the rear bottom of the bulwarks before attaching them. Also to ensure that nothing breaks when I bend the bulwarks around the bow area, I will steam and bend that area prior to applying the bulwarks.  

Mark S.

Awesome! I applied the bulwarks but failed to plank them prior and now will be forced to plank them now. Might I also add that the bulwarks were everything BUT cooperative. It took several tries at steaming before I could get them bent to the desired shape let alone bend at all.

I have to remember to slow down and re-read the directions on EVERY step. My problem is that when I begin to make a little progress, I pay more attention to putting things together and forget that I have the directions to help out. Even if I think I know what is going on, it is always better to double check. No more go, go, go.

Edited by smarinid

Mark S.

Greetings Mark

I'm not one to talk much on the SF as I haven't built one yet, but I do have one of the old SF1's on the shelve and have studied nearly every build on MSW of the SF (both pre-crash MSW1 and new MSW2). The bulwarks I am assuming are ply? On my Swift I replaced them with solid basswood and found they shaped much better. I also know they are structured differently from the SF1 to the SF2. I'm assuming your building the newer single planked SF2?

Personally I think planking post attachment is better. Adding the thickness of the planking can make gettting the bulwarks to bend even more of a task.

One thing I can say is that personally I find the AL instruction so lacking I rarely use them. Its one of the reasons I bashed my Swift (AKA Dock Side of the Moon) to oblivion. Of course maybe the newer kits have somewhat better instructions. Personally I have no issues changing whatever seems appropriate to me. Learning to take the reins, to me, is when things become FUN :dancetl6:

Just for comparison here's vulcanbombers SF1 vs Gerwards SF2. Notice there are several changes.

vulcanbomders SF1

Garwards SF2

Hi Keith,

Actually I am building the elder of the 2 SF's.

I have a couple of sheets of softer wood stock but never even thought about replacing the bulwarks. Wish I had...lol. I also think you are likely correct in that it may be more difficult to shape having planked prior to application.

I have read and seen your Swift bashing and it is awesome!

I think it will take a few more builds before I can disregard much of the instructions but would certainly like to, considering the sparse nature of English in the manual.

Mark S.

Heck - why wait - Bash away

Rulesand instructions are only guidelines.

..and other then a canoe, the DSotM (Swift) is my first, so inexperience isn't a good excuse, and you have already built a sloop, so.....

You'll find nearly all the answers to build questions within MSW, whether its in a log or an answer from another builder. As you get deeper into building and looking at others builds, let your imagination go free. Of course alot of the final look will depend on whether you want it to look like the box.

For a more accurate portrayal of what the early 1800's pilot boat actually looked like, see PopJacks build, its nothing like the box. The Swift kits are great as they're such a great build to cut your teeth on, especially if you have bashing in mind, which I didn't. The poor quality AL instructions drove me to it.

On my "A Spanish Piece" (PF ref) the name of my SF build I have no clue what may happen. I've purchased walnut for single planking but may change to teak. I've also went opposite of many and plan to single plank the SF1 which was a double plank kit. Many of the SF2 builders have switched their build to double plank from single plank. For a nice example of the single plank mahogany SF2, check out lamarvalley's build (Randy). It has some beautiful wood. There's lots of SF's being built so finding help shouldn't be tough. Actually the camaraderie is quite amazing. Welcome to the San Francisco club

Whatever your decisions along the way, most importantly HAVE FUN :dancetl6:

Looks like you're getting a good start on your SF Mark and an excellent indoctrination into the wonderful world of AL from both the inconsistent parts and the vague instructions. I assume you have the SFI and from the deck arrangement. There were some major and minor changes between the versions, naturally some good and some less so.

No matter tho for she's a fine ship and a great learning tool... it'll be fun to watch as you bash away :)

Thanks for the welcome Keith.

Bashing can be fun Randy! I am not certain of how much will be done on this particular build but if it's needed and or the mood strikes me I will certainly dive in "head first".

I'm not sure if it is every manufacturer or just AL but it seems there are some particulars that are left to either common sense (and there is not much of that to be had...lol) or deductive reasoning. Exactly where things line up (AL made that "easy" when they put a lip on the bulkheads for the bulwarks to sit on, SF2) sometimes can be a bit confusing. Then I walk away and when I return, it will dawn on me what needs to be done.

When I made the decision to build the John Alden, had it not been for rlb's log and the bashing he did, I may have ended up with a sloop much like the one on the box. That, in my opinion would have been criminal.

This build will be done, I am certain, with much research into many of the SF build logs here at MSW (which in fact started when I first discovered MSW). I has been a pleasure reading the logs and seeing the great craftsmanship being displayed.

Edited by smarinid

Mark S.

You dont see many of the SF1 around. Luckily Robbyn spotted the one for me on ebay back several months ago. It seems both kits have benefits and problems/issues. Its always interesting to see how different people build the same ship. It's what gives them all personality.

Randy's Florencia is a fine example of the SF2 and his 2 wheeled cannons are a nice upgrade to a more original build. Personal I just like 'em because they look cool. Sadly the SF2 doesn't have the more realistic (time period correct) cannons as the SF1 kit provides.

Watch Randy as he will try to push you into upgrades you might not want to take on :D Watch those double dog dares. :o

Okidokie... to set the record straight... the double dog dares were issued by one insane science guy... and I was powerless to resist appartently :P

Upgrades make it special tho. I figured I would follow along dutifully and do as AL suggested... until I actually did and realized I could do better. You'll see... you will see!! :blink:

WOW Randy, Bill Nye the science guy Double dog dared you. I didn't even no you knew him.

You don't have to be crazy to build ships, but it hel.......wait a minute, I think maybe you do have to be crazy to do this  :dancetl6:  

The lunatic is in the grass....... there is no dark side of the moon really, as a matter iof fact its all dark :piratetongueor4:

Being new to to this hobby, building any of it scares me, so a double dog dare might do just the opposite of its intent. :huh:  However, with all of the things left to the builder to figure out (Thanks AL), it isn't even necessary for ddd. If I can't find the answer in MSW logs then, it's guess and by golly from there anyway. :pirate41:

Mark S.

Have the bow planked and the door added. I also made one for the stern balcony access but have not put it on. I have too much to do there to worry about it at the moment.

Like most, I didn't really like the kit parts. Gives it the "plastic" model look. Not that there aren't some very fine plastics out there. I just prefer to work with the wood as much as possible.

post-66-0-13168500-1376957260.jpg

Mark S.

Well done as your starting to see scratch building your own parts will make your model better and at the end produce a work you are proud of. Remember have fu. And we are all here to help. P.S. we will se how the nucks do this year tough division though ?

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

I agree. Try to replace some parts. Maybe try to paint/blacken the brass parts too. So far so good :)

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

I did the same thing too - forgot to plank the inner bulwarks, had to remove them and do it, luckily the glue hadn't had too long to set!

You're doing really well Mark. She's coming on nicely.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Thanks for the confidence builders folks. It helps.

The bulwarks are there to stay. I am confident enough to get them planked and will see if that confidence is warranted  :o. Hopefully I am not fooling myself but I think if I mess something up, it will be easier to fix than pulling the bulwarks off. That, I am afraid could really put a hurt to her. 

jastrzab,

I am not completely certain That I want to blacken all the brass or not. I kind of like the "new" look of the shine. I am however, seriously considering "blueing" or blackening the cannons. I think in the time of the original San Fran, the cannons were not likely bright brass colored. Or maybe they were??

I love building these ships but they are not so much for me as my wife and kids. I love working with my hands and have fallen hard for building these ships as I have always thought they were beautiful, but for the most part I think I will let the family decide exactly what they like best. Of course I will need to show them the work being done here (MSW) so they can get an idea of what they like best.

P.S.

Go RED WINGS!  :piratetongueor4:

I like football more but, we won't talk about the Lions :angry:  :(

Edited by smarinid

Mark S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I had a wonderful day!

The build is slow. Other things going on but I am getting the first planking and a few other things done. 

More pics and a continuation of the log to come.

Mark S.