I have no idea planking this open boat

DSC03231.thumb.JPG.ed553d27b98b4ac591018a787a44ce6b.JPG

This diagram looks like my first attempt at planking years ago. Why on earth would you force yourself to have to make fillers for those gaps? No measurements so I guess they expect you to eyeball it. This is all the planking help this kit gives you (Panart-Lancia Armata). I'm assuming there should be a garboard at the keel although strake #5 doesn't leave much room for that?

FYI - this build has 3 (yup 3) layers of planking. When you're done you knock the frames out and then add some faux frame strips.

Any guesses? Or should I just plank this like I would any other ship

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Is there a drawing from the bow and/or stern?   I'm wondering if it's a pespective thing and the hull is fairly broad but the drawing perspective makes it look strange.

Three planking layers.. wow.   I did a quick search for "Lancia Armata" and found a few build logs.  I suggest have look at them and see what they did.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, since the model is an open boat, Mantua used a method to have nice planking inside and outside, with the middle layer to help keep the shell rigid.

I think the planking style they're showing is mostly to keep beginning modelers from trying to force planks into curves. It's one thing when you do that with an enclosed plank-on-bulkhead hull, but when you're working on something with essentially no internal frames, an inexperienced modeler can end up with a real mess. The method shown may require a lot more tapering so you don't end up with gaps – Gaps/Fillers are the last thing you want when you can't hide the inside planking. You really need to taper the planks to fit.

Then again, there's probably enough stuff inside the boat that nobody will ever notice that the interior planking is not authentic. With the outer layer, it's probably easier to make the planking look more correct.

Additional Thought: 

I just remembered... The planks aren't supposed to be attached to the frames. So, there's no easy way to make sure they conform to the shape of the bulkheads unless the are laid very naturally across them, without any edge bends or twists at all. The planks initially are only glued to adjacent planks, and If you try anything fancy, I think you'll end up with some weird bulges. I'm pretty sure that's why Mantua shows to plank this way.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Ahoy!  your illustration puts me in mind of what I'll have to do to improve 4 of the five vessels in the new OcCre Endeavor kit ... Other than the title ship, what vessels are those?  Why, the 4 life boats - which are all built on frames with planking at 1:70 scale.  In fact, before trying to dive into the main event, I want to have a go at the lifeboats - and we're fortunate to have specification on the three use by Shackleton to escape from the Antarctic.  The examples 'out of the box' are simplified (reduced # of ribs) - but still must be planked, footlings and thwarts installed and topped by an overly thick gunwale without any curve to it.

So the 'bashing' job to take these small boats to the next level will be to put the gentle curve into them, as well as make them more to scale with what we know about the originals - and one of them survives to this day and can be seen in an English museum, the James Caird - a double ended life boat 22'6" long, 6' beam and 3'7" depth.  The 4th boat not salvaged was apparently one of the same design as the James Caird.

The other two boats had transoms:  The Stancomb-Wills had a small transom and was 20'8" long, 5'6" beam and 2'3.5" inside depth.  The other was the Dudley Docker having a larger transom - 22' long, 6' beam and 3' depth.  All these lifeboats appear in many pictures of the ill fated expedition, and show a number of angles, how they were braced on davits when sailing and how they were modified and used for survival and escape.  

The framing will have to be modified to suit, and they can be equipped with oars and supplies - as well as eventually mounted where they were on the Endeavor as seen in photos.  Hmmmm, sounds like a project.    Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Well from the other logs it looks like everyone went their own way. Not even a mention of how screwy the plan looks or the fact that there is not a rabbet. Other than the drawing I posted above, the other kit drawings don't even show planks on the hull.

I was just wondering if there was some real reason why they would be done that way. As in that's how they built this type of boat back in the day. I'm beginning to think this is not the case.

More & more I'm thinking to just go with what I know. Draw off some bands and break out the proportional dividers and plank this thing just like I would any other build. I am a little concerned how high 3 layers of planks will lay above the keel. I went ahead and carved a rabbet but trying to bury the edges of 3 plank layers in it doesn't sound like fun.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I suspect I should do a build log - just to explain the roadbumps I hit and my ideas for overcoming them. Geez, I'm just on the first few frames of the plans. Given the limited detail from the plans, all the missing steps should at least be identified. Readers can make their own decisions.

Edited by mikiek
add link