HM Bark Endeavour 1758-61 by DaveBaxt - Caldercraft - 1:64

7 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Lower Stays completed . I have fitted the Main & Fore lower Stays on top of the Preventer stays as per the Endeavour replica. Also Lees book states that a lot of small ships during this period carried the stays this way too. I think I will now adjust the tension on the lower shrouds before fitting the futtock shrouds and then the upper shrouds can be fitted before the upper stays and back stays are fitted. Here are a few more photos of the work so far. I also need to do a bit of work on the top masts and lower mast heads before the top masts are fitted.

I love how the bandage made a good texture for the mouse. Really creative, I might just use that idea.

Great work on the rest of the ship.

1 hour ago, BenD said:

I love how the bandage made a good texture for the mouse. Really creative, I might just use that idea.

Great work on the rest of the ship.

It was not my idea but another modeller on this forum but happy to pass it along.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a start on the futtock shrouds and the Catherpins. I also added ratlines using 0.1 mm natural rope and the dyed this using black indian ink. 0.1 mm is a bit on the small side as according to lees should be slightly larger but I think using the 0.25mm black thread, I think makes the knots look too large. I have also fitted the ratlines on the shrouds at the very top ( behind the futtock shrouds) I have no evidence either way that this is correct as some modellers leave these off. I therefore fitted the ratlines to shrouds prior to fitting the futtock shrouds as I thought it would be easier to do this that way. I am fairly sure this has to be up there with the most frustrating bit of rigging the futtock shrouds( I know there are a few) but It has given me a  squnt a number of times.

20230331_125422.jpg

20230330_165318.jpg

20230407_151114.jpg

20230405_083226.jpg

Taking a break for a few days and heading off down to Bristol and Bath for a few days away from modelling but couldn,t resist a visit to the SS Great Britain. So I will be keeping an eye open to see how they did things in the 19th century

20230407_151040.jpg

Edited by DaveBaxt

Coming along very nicely Dave. I think you are right to go with the 0.1mm line for your ratlines. When in doubt I usually prefer to go with a thinner thread because I believe undersized always looks better than oversized on a model. Besides, I've found that the thread supplied in kits is often larger than the nominal size. Always best to measure for yourself. Btw, I was impressed by your mouses - I've not gone for the woven look before, but seeing how realistic yours are I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your trip to the west country.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you Derek for your kind words. I am definately find the rigging more challenging on the Endeavour than the Bounty now that I am trying to do it as correct to the best of my knowledge and skill wise. I am also working on the Diana whenever I have had too much of the rigging but that also has quite a few challenges too. I sometimes wish I had gone down  trying a Vangard model as the Diana by Caldercraft has a number of design issues.

As you are already aware, there are also a number of issues regarding  the rigging lines supplied by a lot of kits and after seeing your own rope and a good few others who make there own I am definately thinking of getting the Syren ropewalk and making my own for the Diana. I have used rope for my Endeavour stays made by 'Ropes of Scale' which is far superior to what has been supplied in the Caldercraft. However buying all the rope from Ropes of scale would be quite expensive .although the prices are very reasonable  I am quite wasteful . Best regards Dave