Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


  • Birthday 05/03/1945

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Truro England

Recent Profile Visitors

661 profile views
  1. Hi, and thanks for the likes. Upper cabin side windows fixed and rails added. Wasn't happy just sticking them on so framed them. Probably noticed by now that I am doing anything but finishing the hull planking (I would rather tie ratlines) but the bullet is about to be bit. Regards, Sam
  2. Capping rails fixed. Occre supplied several lengths of 2 x 12 mm sapele for these. Probably the only pieces in this kit that were straight and true when they needed to be slightly curved on plan. In the end I replaced the waist rails with 2mm thick flat sheet I had in stock so lots of the sapele left. Won't waste it, quality material. Looked at the photo's and instruction book twice. Stared at the wall for inspiration and then went on Mark Tiedens log to se how he did it. Gave it a try and it actually worked. This build is travelling further and further f
  3. Hi and thanks for the likes. Upper hull planking applied and stem bulkhead stanchions fitted. Next step is the various rails or as the instructions call them - the covering strips. Kit supplied material for these is 2 x 12mm sapele. This is good quality but the waist rails need to be curved slightly on plan. Will use in stock 2mm thick sheet for these, cut and shaped to suit. Finished rails will be painted black so I hope that the different material used will not show. Starting at the stern with these to see what sort of mess I make of the large radius curves
  4. Upper poop deck fitted. Stem bulkhead planked and doors fitted, lead foil as roofing to roundhouses. Catheads for photo only. Will be attached later. Regards, Sam.
  5. Hi and, thanks for the likes. Also thanks Mark for the comments. I keep comparing the parts, the instructions and, your build log. Agree with your comments about the mis-match with the windows and deck camber and still haven't decided what to do here but it will entail a lot of scratch building. Also my stern piece finishes a lot lower than yours so I have had to lower the replacement bulwark pieces slightly to make sure that the rails finish inside the stern piece. The rearmost deck part No. 122 will be a much smaller step. This will end up a good model but
  6. Hi and, thanks for the likes. After a careful examination of Mark Tiedens build log I have been trying to sort out the stern. The parts provided in my kit don't match the instruction book and the plans (lol) are no help at all. In addition the stern side cheeks mark 29 are approx 4mm too long and protrude below the stern piece. They lock into place so can't really be fixed incorrectly. I have corrected these. I have decided on the following approach --- The stern piece is attached and is not moving. The second planking will be extended to meet the stern pie
  7. First hull planking fixed, filled, whitewashed and marked up ready for second planking. This is a big fat boat and planking took for ever. Waterline marked but feels too high. Needs dropping 12mm. Will have to do more research before I settle on this location. The supplied plans are no use at all, the side elevations differ significantly. Bulkheads 9 and 11 were too low over middle third. Didn't spot this until after planking. This was both sides and took a fair bit of filling. Sam.
  8. Thanks everyone for visiting and comments. Upper deck shot garlands fitted. Replaced instructions with something neater. Highlights will fade when the varnish dries. Sam.
  9. Hi, and thanks for visiting. Stern piece finished (for now). Might work on the gilding later. Now back to the dreaded planking. There is so much of it. Sam.
  10. Haven't posted for a while - been fixing the first planking. There is a lot of it. For light relief have been working on the stern piece. Attached photo's show cabin rear walls. Extra coat of yellow ocre needed Next is the balustrading and lower stern piece. Also the hull planking. Starting to question the wisdom of double planking. There is so much of it. Sam.
  11. Checking out your Post 14 before I start my stern build. Beautiful work Sferoida, just beautiful. Sam.
  • Create New...