Golden Hind by BobL - OcCre - 1:85

Well, having finished Occre's Polaris I had already decided to make the Golden Hind next.  Looking at the available kits I eventually chose the Occre as I had found the Polaris kit and instructions easy to follow and I preferred the lack of guns on the main deck as I don't see how they could have recoiled in the available space.

On opening the box the first thing that struck me was the ship's boat which is cast metal.  I decided that it should be clinker built so set about improving it.  I put rough floor planking in it and then decided that it would be more logical to have it on the deck upside down to keep the water out of it so turned it over and started planking...  It's time consuming but hopefully the finished product will justify the work.  I'll probably paint it white and put the thwarts in even though they won't be visible.

The other things that I'm not happy with are the windows and doors.  I've managed to get some imitation Tudor glass; although the scale is different (1:72) I think it will be close enough, and the doors will have to be scratch built.  Fortunately I bought some spare wood during the Polaris build and I've got some left over brass wire.

Work will be a bit patchy over the next few weeks but I hope to be finished before Christmas and I'll post at least any points of possible interest that I come across as I go

Boat bottom.JPG

Boat half timbered.JPG

window glass.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

OK so after a delay I've got the boat done and built a clamp for the false keel after the model shown by Mark Frazier https://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_2019_02/1427041349_BUILDBOARD1.jpg.2445db31dc428f254c278e1d44c6c60c.jpg , for which idea, many thanks.

As can be seen I have added some guidelines for getting the bulkheads square as I can't make the angle brackets and commercially available ones in the UK are never 90 degrees.

910919333_clampwithshipsboat.thumb.JPG.df83816efb0fe68887d64328655a44c3.JPG

Instead I have used a small set square and clamps for the bulkheads that don't  want to sit true.

2056510550_bulkheads1.thumb.JPG.0bc54cb1553e8a61809407223d21e517.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything in abeyance probably till Autumn.  I volunteer at a local historic property (Agatha Christie's former holiday home) and many of our volunteers haven't returned after Covid (they haven't died, just aren't volunteering any more!!) so those of us still volunteering are doing a lot of extra shifts during the summer vacation period leaving me very short of time at present.  I'm also undecided on marking the nails in the deck planking, both in terms of whether it's worth it at all at 1:85 scale and, if it is, how far apart they should be and what pattern ie 60mm staggered by 30mm on the adjacent or whether to work in patterns of three so 15mm 30mm 45mm repeat (if that makes sense)

Deck planking in the 16th century (rules?? There are no rules)

Post 274

Short reply sorry, on holiday ⛱️

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've inherited an old Mamoli Golden Hind kit (about 30 years old ?, new in box), and although there are no nice videos like OcCre provides - there are a number of detailed printed sheets with a lot of instructions and illustrations, and also a full scale draft of the model.  The frame member are meticulously die cut and fully separated (packed in small plastic bags) - the kit quality exceeds many supplied today in the $150 - $250 range.  I do note that this version also has guns on the weather deck ... not on a gun deck below the weather deck as many scholars conclude (and also jive with contemporary art work of this type of ship).  The lines of the hull may be OK, although some widening of a few of the bulkheads amidships might be considered. It may have been influenced by the first Golden Hind (ex Pelican) full-sized reconstruction.  Also the second repro. had to have 'bulges' added at the waterline amidships to make it stable in the water.

The planking is of good quality, and many of the provided materials are appropriate.  Yet the kit would have to be 'busted' a bit  in a number of ways.  The nicely silk-screened multicolor side-wood would have to be separated into planks ... or simply not used if thought too 'gaudy'.  Loads of modifications would turn it into a more advanced level project.  So my tendency would be to use it as a source of materials for other projects.  Of course despite being on display at a London area war for decades (the first 'museum ship' as ordered by Elizabeth the first) no one thought to make a sketch of the original ship.  Once can take stuff from other artwork, but in the end all is conjecture, no?

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 weeks later...