Importing STEP files from ServoCity

Hello, I am a rank newbie as far as 3D CAD goes, in fact I have only ever used TinkerCAD.

I wanted to build a small CAD file of an assembly made with structural and linear motion components from ServoCity, just to examine overall dimensions. They provide zipped "STEP" files for all their parts.

However, when I download these zipped STEP files, right-click and select "EXTRACT" the resulting file is designated as an Adobe file (doesn't sound right to me) which TinkerCAD can't "see" as a valid item to import.

So my questions are

1)  Do I need to download some other app to extract zipped STEP files, as opposed to whatever windows does?

2)  Is TinkerCAD even capable of importing mechanical part files like these? I'm hoping not to have to learn Fusion360 or equally complex tools.

Thanks,

Ian

Have you tried changing the file extension to .STP and see if Tinker can see it?

You might consider installing the free version of Fusion 360, import the STEP files, then export them in a format TinkerCAD can use..

Meanwhile you might want to up your game by playing around with Fusion360..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Ian_Grant said:

Hello, I am a rank newbie as far as 3D CAD goes, in fact I have only ever used TinkerCAD.

I wanted to build a small CAD file of an assembly made with structural and linear motion components from ServoCity, just to examine overall dimensions. They provide zipped "STEP" files for all their parts.

However, when I download these zipped STEP files, right-click and select "EXTRACT" the resulting file is designated as an Adobe file (doesn't sound right to me) which TinkerCAD can't "see" as a valid item to import.

So my questions are

1)  Do I need to download some other app to extract zipped STEP files, as opposed to whatever windows does?

2)  Is TinkerCAD even capable of importing mechanical part files like these? I'm hoping not to have to learn Fusion360 or equally complex tools.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian,

You some good questions, but for Fusion360 I would recommend to go to GrabCad.com where you can find ServoCity items ready for Fusion360.

Hope that will be to some help.

Here is youtube regarding STEP and Fusion360. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry