Rigging of a the 5 masted bark named France II

Folks I am in the middle of the restoration of a French 5 masted d  France II. This model was never in the best of conditions and I have devoted numerous hours of pain staking work on this project.  I have completed the deck furniture and I am getting ready to start the standing rigging.  Looking forward at the running rigging I am anticipating up coming headaches.   This is do in part because I have no rigging plans for this model what so ever.  Yes, it is a monumental  task and the closest I have come to what would be rigging plans of a ship of this era is the German ship Preussen. Does anyone have any information relating to the rigging of the France II besides what Wikipedia constantly tells me; which is just the history of this ship.

689508FA-505E-430F-9368-A5D860AA0303.jpeg

9E4F0357-87DF-4AE4-8728-71EB9E2F9F3F.jpeg

Incidentally, this appears to be a sailor's model and when I interpret the jumble on the second picture correctly, the model was rigged as a 5-masted ship, not barque.

There seems to be also an anachronism, as on the model the shrouds are rigged with dead-eyes, but at that time bottle-screws would have been used.

For all ships French I would turn to the Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine in Paris (https://www.aamm.fr). They are usually helpful and also have English-speakers.

Arguably the best source on early 20th rigging of steel ships is this (albeit in German):

MIDDENDORF, F.L. (1903): Bemastung und Takelung der Schiffe.- 401 p., Kassel (reprint 1977 by Horst Hamecher).

The Author was responsible for the design of inter alia PREUSSEN.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

This is an early thank you to the modelers on this web site. I will be pursuing the rigging plans that have been drawn up for this model since I am relying on the Preussen plans, a ship on the same era.  And yes,  I must concede that this model may in fact be a sailor’s model, but this model was given to me as a challenge.  The France II may not have been from a established modeling company, but deserves to be restored to the beautiful lines that she was interpreted by a original modeler.

Thanks for the hyper link to the French National Marine Museum.  The photos that I have viewed show a gorgeous array ship models and beautiful displays; comparing it to a grainy photograph of France II from the early 20th century on Wikipedia.

Thanks again to everyone, for I am relying heavy on artistic interpretation and had no place to turn to for information. 

regards, 

Icarus24

Builds: 

Billing Boats Bluenose

Billing Boats Seeadler

• 3 weeks later...