London LGOC Type B Bus by modeller_masa - Roden - 1/72 FINISHED

12 minutes ago, wefalck said:

the old 1/32 scale Airfix kit

Correct. The magnet works well. 😆

Roden copied the airfix 1/32 kit and down-scaled it. Its structure is exactly same, and became more difficult due to thoughtless down-scaling. There are many unmatched joints and too slim parts that easily breakable. I replaced the broken parts to brass sheet or covered with CA glue. It is one of the worst kit I've ever seen, so I would like to recommend latest Miniart 1/35 kit if you are interested in the london bus. Unfortunately, there is no kit based on the world's first omnibus from France. 🤔

Ah, that's why it looked familiar. I have no special interest in London buses, other than that I am rather emotionally attached to London (including the old open-platform 'Routemaster' buses) since my first vist in 1972 and later having lived and worked nearby for some time.

I certainly would have made a lot of the mechanics from PE, rather than cast them in resin. There would be lots of opportunities to make a much more detailed kit.

If I am not mistaken, Airfix at some stage also offered a kit of a London bus as converted fro military service in Flandres during WW1. Or may be this was a conversion in old modelling book from the early 1970s I have. There was a shortage of military motor vehicles, so the Brits and French (the famous Parisian taxis) pressed civilian vehicles into service.

I gather there are not too many kits of early buses. Berlin also had motor-buses very early on.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg