Correct cordage sizes for stropping blocks

I'd like to figure out what cordage size I need for stropping blocks on my current build. It's my second and a half kit and I'd like to take a step up in accuracy. I may even serve it if it doesn't cause brain damage for a newb like me. What block dimensions do I need to consider? Dimensions at any scale would be cool, I can convert.

I'm working at 1:24 scale and with 11/32", 9/32", and 3/16" (9mm, 7mm, and 5mm) blocks.

Thanks,

Glenn

Welcome to MSW Glenn!!!

What vessel, year, nationality?  The short answer, according to Lees' Masting and Rigging, on page 164 the circumference of a rope strap on a common block is 1/4 the length of the block.   

Sorry to throw all of this other stuff out but you expressed a desire to show accurate detail.  At your scale of 1:24, you may want more detail than just the circumference of the strop.  A couple examples ...... some had single strops, some had double strops.  Some of the strops were seized some were not not, it depends on where the block is located. Pin materials varied with block size.  Blocks on pendants did not have strops, but rather the pendant had a long eye spliced in the end and the block seized in the eye with a racking seizing.   Eyes on the ends of a strop varied in location, (the ends of stropping on blocks on spars had a short tail and a long tail for example).    There are three pages of drawings and text in Lees' book, probably more information than you need or want, but know that it is available if you want to go all out.   At 1:24 you have an opportunity to have blocks with actual sheaves, pins, &c. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Allan,

I’m just seeing your post now, thank you! I’m working on Philadelphia from Model Shipways. I think at that scale, getting proportions wrong would really stick out. I got a good recommendation to build MS Syren next because of the extensive practicum, but with it being fully rigged, I want to make sure I get proportions right going into it.

Thanks Allan!