Just a curious question. 

All pictures I can find of the Bluenose don't show any kind of cover over the dories even though they are stored upright.  The Bluenose typically had 8 dories, stacked in 2 groups of 4.  I would have thought they would get filled with water without a covering.

Are my assumptions wrong?

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Good question Derek.

I looked at some contemporary photos of fishing schooners of the early 20th century but many of  the photos are grainy at best and difficult to see. None appear to have covers over the entire stack, but two that I found MAY have covers over the top most in the stack.  A couple of photos that I found are below.  There were more as well that popped up with a quick search on the internet.

Assuming they were usually not covered I imagine they had drain holes with plugs like small boats of today.   

Are you speaking of the original Blue Nose?   Looking at a bunch of contemporary photos of fishing schooners of her size, they seem  to have at least 5 and usually 6 or 7 dories per side.  I am curious if there were any rules or ratios of the size of a schooner and the number of dories, or perhaps it had to do with the size of the dory and type of fish they were targeting.    Can you share your source regarding only 4 dories per side?  Thanks!

Cheers

Allan

957193845_Dories1.jpg.6106d268461986f43eff32195f833dc5.jpg1305506800_Dories2.jpg.75781067b06873cd2b35c6460c7cb4d1.jpg1748169801_Dory3.jpg.0f8d6500dab7b6813597005e5588b014.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan,

Yes, I am referring to the original Bluenose.

One source I have is from Wikipedia which states: " Bluenose, being a Lunenburg schooner, used the dory trawl method. Lunenburg schooners carried eight dories, each manned by two members of the crew, called dorymen."

I will do a bit of further investigation to see if I can find any additional detail.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Lacking additional information, if all Lunenberg schooners carried only 8 dories this seems to be the best information to go with.   

It is very nice to see research going into a project like this rather than accepting that a kit is always accurate.   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU