HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Worldway - 1:48

I bought the plans and started the build log.  However, it may be a few weeks until I start this project. I just ordered a Byrnes saw and will be a while before I get it. Please be patient. I've always wanted to do a scratch build and it seems this is a good one for new scratch builders.  Hopefully I'll get this on the go soon.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Derek

Good to see you back at the bench.  You'll get lots of use out of the saw with this build!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Welcome aboard Derek. You'll love building the Winnie!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

So I was reviewing other build logs and a question came to mind.  Probably a no brainer for most but for me, I'm curious.  When you lay the pattern on your wood and cut the shape out, do you leave the line or cut the line out.  For example, what side of the line do you cut to, the outer or the inner?

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I cut close to the line but leave the line. That leaves me the flexibility to sand to a final fit.  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 4 weeks later...

I broke down and ordered Syren's laser cut kits.  Maybe I'm not quite ready for scratch build yet.  I like the idea of starting the ship off with accurate material.  And the beauty of this is that you basically buy the parts kits as the build progresses, so your not out of pocket all at once, you pay as you go.  And I trust Syren to give me quality products.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my order from Syren. And when I say "finally", that is not a slight against Syren or Chuck.

I have been off work since before Christmas enjoying a 2 week staycation. I asked a colleague of mine to let me know if any packages shows up for me at work. I have a lot of my stuff shipped to work to avoid porch divers in case I'm out. I don't hear from my colleague at all. I walk into my office this morning and there is this noticeably large box on the table behind my desk from Syren. I approached my colleague and asked why he didn't call me when it showed up. His answer was, he never noticed it plus my office was locked the entire time. I have no idea how long the package was sitting there.

So it's in my shop now. I plan on starting very shortly. Wow, this is going to be big.

20200106_180917.thumb.jpg.9f1f6e9616bf318d5c262927d35ef5d7.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I started the head knee assembly and thought I would break it down to a few sub assemblies. I figured this would give me a tighter joint. The practicum recommends the use of Titebond II glue and no removal of the laser char. I ended up getting Titebond III and have not removed any char. I hope I end up with a good tight strong joint. (BTW, I've had problems finding Titebond II at the usual places.  But my wife found Titebond III tonight at another hardware store.  It's supposed to be better and stronger.)20200107_201542_resized.jpg.d270720aad976784eb86a8f78b805201.jpg20200107_202108_resized.jpg.752e9c051f689797ee6e1728d555c542.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

So here is the sorta final assembly.  I still have to taper the edges and put a finish on it.  I'm thinking of a wipe on poly.  I have also decided not to paint at all.  I'm not into historically completely accurate ships, honestly I hate painting and I think a natural wood finish looks better. I figure I will enjoy this more if I don't have to worry about painting.

20200109_205236_resized_1.jpg.d786e3298a2f40d3733e451b5922657d.jpg

20200109_205244_resized_1.jpg.3c8ce0d78a2521ffa6e0547f2c90fc84.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

The stem looks good.  I do hope you reconsider the painting.  If you use the friezes without painting the wales or ports it would look very odd.  Maybe select some darker woods or maybe bloodwood for whats painted red.  

it will be interesting to see what you come up with regardless.

Thanks for the advise Chuck.  I'll definitely reconsider.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I finished with the head knee assembly.  I tapered as per the instructions and even managed to smooth the edges on the bobstay holes and gammon slot although it's not very visible.

20200111_155606_resized.jpg.5b102479ee203ad294e84b97af7ef894.jpg20200111_155641_resized.jpg.29829655a26507c37fb14f33be17222c.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have warpage in the false keel.  I'm not too concerned.  I will add additional brackets when I assemble my building board.  I'm thinking 6 per side. Hopefully that should correct the problem.

20200110_193151_resized.jpg.124c564ba66f538e5a67e45f0968ffb7.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Next was the addition of the rabbet strip

20200111_163318_resized.jpg.224a38b14a89a324e80a0362bb4ab9d3.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been quite some time since my last post.  Luckily, I've had the false keel lying on a flat surface.  Time seems to have removed any warpage or bending that I previously had.  I attached the Knee of the Head to the false keel.  Unfortunately, with a lot of sanding and clamping I still ended up with a gap.  I'm hoping this can be covered up later in the build when I do the planking.

20200717_180502_resized.jpg.b93252b6fdac5fc552f7fa1f29002504.jpg20200906_154457_resized.jpg.045d999f0bf172d92957bcd35743dfed.jpg

I assembled the brackets and attached them to my build board to support the false keel.20200717_180513_resized.jpg.652c2bf7f23098c8716614f1b2eff53c.jpg20200906_152608_resized.jpg.12e8a23cde230031b4ef7fcdea721885.jpg

Next, I dry fitted the bulkheads to ensure a nice tight fit.  I'm in the process of gluing the bulkheads.  20200906_154442_resized.jpg.ab8a92c810e9b4e88acb6dd7eaf1df0c.jpg

A couple of minor issues I ran into.  First, when I was carving the rabbet from the bearding line I found I went a little too deep.  So the false keel is a little thinner than it should be.  I'm hoping I can shim the planks a bit to make up the thickness.  Second, when I was removing the dry fitted bulkheads to permanently attached them, I inadvertently broke off one of the bulkhead extensions.  It was a minor repair and barely noticeable.  Perhaps though, I may sit down tonight and re-read Chuck's Monograph because he clearly talks about this problem and how to avoid damage (I actually just noticed those paragraphs).

I doubt if it will be such a long delay before my next post.

20200906_160938_resized.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

happy your back!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I decided to re-read Chuck's monograph to make sure I am on the right track.  I realized I forgot an important step. I didn't finish installing the keel.

20200921_170945_resized.jpg.a82ad313ddbc1e974cf49cbdfebdb80e.jpg20200921_170950_resized.jpg.8a3642711ad337aa1caf705358edc0c9.jpg20200921_170956_resized.jpg.51964d2229f4eb72a22c508fa0b1bd2b.jpg

So I started to install it but had some dimensional issues.  If you look at the pictures, the length of the keel doesn't add up, however, if I look at each of the 4 sections, they match the drawing precisely, length wise.  I don't know how the dimensions are off and can't figure it out.  I've looked at a few of the other build logs and haven't seen anyone else with the same problem.  If someone could suggest a fix that would be helpful.  I've stopped assembly right now hoping for a suggestion or two.

20200921_173207_resized.jpg.aecc43e7f378586ad7dd100e3ce736d0.jpg20200921_174417_resized.jpg.b0fd8c673e07f30c3124365bb932f297.jpg20200921_174424_resized.jpg.7e43c846ff34c55ac849fb2bd7256b01.jpg

Like I've said, I've measured all the dimensions against the drawing, including the rabbet strip and they all check out, it's just that when they are combined they don't measure up.  Help.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Its fine as is.   But yes slow down and read it a few times before picking up the glue.   That will work out just fine.

Chuck

So, I ran into another problem and I was going to PM Chuck with this to get his opinion but I thought this forum is the best place to let people know what not to do.  The biggest what no to do is to not pay close attention to the monograph.  Read and re-read until you are familiar with all steps.

As with my last post above, I omitted adding the keel which I fixed tonight.  However, reading through the monograph again I noticed a very important piece of information.

It states "When installing the bulkheads I made sure that the laser etched reference marks were facing the correct direction. All of the numbered bulkheads have the etched side facing aft....... the lettered bulkheads are facing forward.  This is very important."

So my question is....... how important?  I installed them all facing forward.  They are glued with Titebond III glue and I doubt I will have any success in ungluing them.  Is there a fix to this problem or have I just sunk the ship to to speak?

Huge lesson learned over the last two days.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Its somewhat important as it will establish your plank run and port position.  Just draw a straight line to the other side along the BH edge.  And use that for placement.

No pictures tonight, but I finished the keel assembly and transferred the plank run and port position marks to the opposite side of the bulkheads.  To do this I used miniature screw clamps.  I lined up one side on the line then retraced the line on the other side of the bulkhead.

One question I had, is that when I finished the head knee assembly, I finished it with wipe on poly.  Now I have the keel assembly done and sanding has meant that I sanded into the head knee assembly.  So, should I be using wipe on poly at this stage or wait and apply it at a much later date.  Is there an effect if I added the poly, then sanded, then added more poly? Or is it better to wipe it on as you go as a bit of protection?

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I hit the assembly various times throughout planking the hull so I waited until the hull was finished and smoothed everything and then applied more WOP. I don't think you can go wrong touching it up now and then when you finish planking the hull though. Kind of 50/50 to me.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I have sanded and poly’d and sanded and poly’d many times over.  It will be fine.  But to protect the stem at this point.  You might consider covering it with protective painters tape.  Something low tack to stop it from getting dirty and dented and scratched.