2 hours ago, TomShipModel said:

Polyester lays up beautifully.  However, several of the rigging techniques involve white glue (such as making fake splices and securing knots, seizings and strops).  I also use white glue for getting the catenary droop in foot ropes and loose running rigging.  Is there a way for me to get that with polyester line as white glue doesn't soak into it like cotton or cotton covered polyester?

Tom 

With this particular polyester, you will find glues of all types will soak into the fibers as long as they are thinned enough. This includes PVA, Clear nail polish, CA, and even Shellac. As long as the glue is thin or has some type of solvent or alcohol it should work. 

I've done tests with PVA and found 60/40 Water/PVA will hold really well. Using PVA for holding a shape in the line will take a few coats and some fiddling.

I've tried my wife's clear nail polish and found it will hold a knot really well. The only problem is it will leave a shiny spot.

The best glue for this rope is thin CA. It doesn't make it brittle and if you are light enough with the application it won't discolor the rope either. It goes right into the core of the rope and makes impossibly strong knots and seizings. I've managed to use thin CA for shaping curves in rope, it's tricky but can be done with the right applicator. Bob Smith Industries line of CA is what I would recommend for this job. It's high-quality CA that doesn't leave that awful white residue. 

I bought some shellac from Home Depot to test it out of knots. It soaked right into the Poly rope and held about as well as PVA. It left a bit of yellowing. I have not tried buying shellac flakes and dissolving them, so I don't know how well that would work or how much discoloring there would be.

That covers everything I've tried so far.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 12:23 AM, Twokidsnosleep said:

Just got my order and am super happy with the quality of these ropes..soon to the riggin !

Glad you like the rope! I'll be looking into your black pearl build.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, BenD said:

Glad you like the rope! I'll be looking into your black pearl build.

I LOVE the rope

I know good stuff when I see and feel it, been blabbing about your ropes all over the internet

Great stuff man, just great👍🏻😎

IMG_6606.thumb.jpeg.cc3ea14498dcdec3dbb54d2f4c84b01e.jpeg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Scott 

Current Build:
1/72 Zvezda The Black Pearl