HMS Bellona by Chief Williams - Corel - 1/100

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

I really think that if you get the first layer faired with filler or replacement pieces you will have a good chance to get the second layer done without issues if you follow the tutorials on tapering and spiling by David Antcherl and/or the tapering and edge bending process detailed by Chuck Passaro. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello Chief

When I built Corel's Greyhound kit (as Blandford) some years ago, I ended up ripping off the first planking from the wales up - though my issues were a bit different from yours. It pained me to do it, but it is actually one of the less tricky (if most frustrating) things to correct - if you have enough material left to finish covering the hull. Then you can do the additional fairing once the bulkheads are exposed again. I still tend to underestimate how much fairing is needed - especially at the bows and "buttocks" - to get a clean run, and I'm also usually quite disappointed in my planking...

Another possibility is, as Alan suggests, to just sand, fill and scrape the heck out of it. I've used a scalpel blade to cut down plank edges that stand proud and put a lot of elbow grease with some 80 grit sandpaper and managed to get a decent hull shape as a result - requires time and patience but like Alan says you can get a decent foundation for the second layer - this is the one that will be visible anyway, so if the first layer is a bit of a mess it won't matter too much.

In any case, I think you're making great progress - I'll be rejoining you soon! Work is just dragging at the moment but our home restoration is moving along and we should be back home and set up again by the end of May - then my work schedule quiets down for the summer and I can finally turn back to modelling - at least when the Admiral doesn't have me pushing a wheelbarrow or building more garden beds!! Fortunately we're running out of yard space so I might be able to eke out some more time at the bench!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, Chief Williams said:

I've had another good look at the drawings, and I didn't like the sharp curve that the planks would have to make as the approached the bow, so I decided to put a bass wood filler between the first frame (3), and the bow cheek (2)

516195322_Portsidebowcheekrough.jpg.2aa641db1e35bff8dac45c083213b794.jpg  

I love your solution with the bass wood fillers. I have the Constructo HMS Pandora that has the same issue; as designed, the kit's bow and forecastle is much too sharp. A bow filler could be the solution. 

Bill Morrison

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 12:51 AM, Chief Williams said:

Here I am, back after a bout with the bug.  It had all the symptoms of COVID, but the tests kept coming back negative.  I'm about over it now, thank goodness.  I would like this entry to be titled 'What Not To Do When You Aren't Feeling 100%' and the first line of that would be: Don't undertake any planking.

I thought I would be able to get on with the first planking run at least, but as you can see from the attached pictures, I've made a right mess of it.  

2083515200_PortStern.jpg.0a0711df5410cd3c44c3aef36074778e.jpg

PortFwd.jpg.545958925071024c5d19c089f3bcb9a2.jpg

731669183_StbdStern.jpg.434be044d6327d45400c739e44a965c9.jpg

I hold my hands up, if I could start again I would.  My major mistake was that I didn't complete the fairing of the bulkheads before I started to plank.  in a better state of mind, I would have checked the run of the planks before I fitted any of them, and adjusted the fairing to suit,  but in my befuddled state, I just jumped in and started planking with the results as shown.  I'm going to carry on with it and hope I can make it all better when I come to put the second planks on.  Fingers crossed and watch this space.......

Hi Chief, I am following your thread with interest because I would also like to make HMS BELLONA by COREL.
Could you please put some pictures of the bow?
thanks a lot
cnemo