Medway Longboat 1742 by Michael Scarborough - 1:24 Scale

Greetings all,

I was finally able to start my Medway Longboat project over the weekend. I have to say that my over-riding feeling after two days work is this: In the past 60 years, plus!, I've built many, many models, in a wide range of subjects and media, but few can match the quality and engineering of this kit from Chuck. Simply put, it is a joy to work on. No sweat, no cussin', no sending parts into orbit. Amen.

I've read through all the build logs and there's nothing I can add. You gents have it all covered and my coming late to the party just means I get to take advantage of your  experiences. 

One thing...I've decided to use Tung Oil to finish mine. I used it a lot when I was still doing furniture on commission and like the way it handles and the glow that results. I use Sutherland and Welles. It's pricey and it takes a bunch of coats to build up the visual depth I like, but, for the look I'm after, it's worth the time and money. 

I doubt I'll be able to get back to it before the weekend so here're some shots to tide you over. (I just keep going to the model rook to fondle it wishing I could stop work to keep going.)

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

IMG_9207.jpeg

IMG_9208.jpeg

Excellent kit.  I am glad to see another Medway Longboat being built.  You are off to a good start.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update.

I have built a lot of models, and I have worked with a lot of wood, but this is my first all wood model building project. That it is a ship, with its inherent curves, makes it quite a challenge for a rookie. And working with CA on a whole project is a new experience, as well. I have learned so much from the mistakes I've made that I'm tempted to get another kit from Chuck to apply the knowledge gained. I may yet do something with the extra keel parts.

I know that the bulk of modelers in this group prefer to leave their models unpainted but I'm an odd bird. As opposed to making a duplicate of one of the models that might be seen at Greenwich, I'm going to try and make my mine look as much like an historical, miniature ship as possible. Certainly, if and when I work with boxwood, I will leave things as pristine as possible. But, for this Longboat project, it will be painted and have the look of hard use. Let's just say that the captain of this particular ship was not a tyrant about spit n' polish. 

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Here's where she stands now:

IMG_9244.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

IMG_9282.jpeg

Looks great.  I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat