Model Shipways Ropewalk

I just got this in the mail, I am 90% done with it and am going to start creating ropes tonight.  Only problem is I have no idea what I am doing other than reading how to operate it via the instructions.  Anyone have an advice or tips on rope making with this thing?  Thanks!  - Casey

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I use mine to make my own ropes- works well if you practice a little.  The two key things I found were that first you have to get equal tension on all 3 lines first (tighten/slacken them to make them all the same), then you have to unwind them enough with the gear head in order to give them the necessary resistance.  What happens is that the final winding (with the plain round turning end) balances out the tension from the unwinding (from the gear head)- it's basically two forces cancelling each other out and need to be balanced so the rope doesn't unwind (or really coil back on itself and kink).  

But for starters, I'll make 6-8ft of rope at a time.  I'll use the gear head and turn it about 30-40 turns (with the other end locked with the pin), then unlock and turn with an electric drill stuck into the head (turning 8 ft of rope by hand will take half a day).  After my turns are complete, I'll drop a bit of CA on the ends to keep them from unravelling, then cut and remove the finished rope.  

It's pretty easy- just takes some practice and getting the feel of it- I'd recommend starting with about 2-3ft or so just to play with it first.  (Also, if you want super tight turns, use a truck/bobbin that's cone-shaped to push the turns tight- I used a wine bottle cork and cut it into a cone, then stick that in one end of the rope and push it down the line as I turn).

Hope this helps a little!  There's some other posts on ropewalks that may be of help as well!

Good luck!

Thanks! My first attempt was a disaster. Haha.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey - you are braver than I am.  I bought this a while ago, but it is still sitting in the box.  Anything you can share from your experience is appreciated. 

Rich - thanks for the tips.  Into the 'favorites' this topic goes!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

I also have the Byrnes Ropewalk. I am presently making my line for the Constitution.

Here is what I have learned so far. Do some experimenting. Scale will make a difference. The larger the scale the larger the line.   The finished line will only be as good as the inital line you are using. If you want a morope type of line use nylon, or any synthetic type thread. I have found that this type will be a little shinny and you need to CA the ends so they won't unravel. I have decided to use the cotton type of line. I am using Coats and Clark cotton thread in sizes of 30wt,35wt and 50wt. With the cotton line it dosen't unravel like the synthetics, it is more of a flat or natural color and you can dye it to the color you want. You can glue it with dulited white glue and the glue will soak in and not show. Others have used DMC cotton, silk, and linen.

As for the ropewalk itself you need to get familar with its operartion. You need to wind the line tight on the spools so you have an even takeup of the line. Tension is the key part. You are supplied some dyes where the line will go through. Don't have too big of an opening. Most thread comes with a right hand twist or clock wise twist. So when you make your inital twist be sure to twist it the opposite way or counter closkwise. Make small amounts of line to see how you like it. It is kind of like using a sewing machine without the needles.  The one thing I do with the line is harden it a little by stretching it with weights. It give the line a tighter twist and less likely to unwind

With the ropewalk you can make many sizes of line with the same inital thread. Just a combination of twists from single to two to three and son. 

Right now for the Constituion I am making some charts of the sizes I will need. My main reason for making my one line is the sizes I need. The kit provides you six sizes of line and a lot of them are not to scale. When I check the plans I came up with out 15 or more different sizes of line. So I am still in the process of figuring it all out.

Most of all have some fun and see what you can come up with. It is a great machine and well built and Jim and Donna are great if you have any questions. Hope whis helped.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Geoff- regarding the line to use, what brands/types would you recommend?  I have a Michael's craft store here in town and have looked at their selection, but most seems too thick, fuzzy, or shiny....  right now I'm just using the nylon line that was came with my Niagara kit.

Yes, the key with making one's own rope is to experiment and get a feel for how the rope turns out (no pun intended).  

I have the best luck with Hobby Lobby and Joanne Fabrics. It seem like Michaels is more of a craft store and has little for sewing.  My wife is a quilter and turned me on to them. Once you determine which sizes you need the thread types will be easier to figure out. Right now I am leaning toward Coats and CLark, 30wt, 35wt and 50wt. and DMC and one called Lizebeth sizes 20 and 80 from Hobby Lobby. A lot of the bigger sizes of Cotton are fuzzy. I haven't tried dyeing any of the line yet and am wondering if the dyeing would cut down on the fuzzies.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

You can never have enough thread string twine or line and there never seems to be the EXACT thing you want for the line you are making. I have had a lot of success stopping at every garage sale, lawn sale, stoop sale and gate sale I pass. Apparently everyone has a collection of sewing stuff sitting around and a certain percentage of these people are trying to get rid of it and I am usually happy to oblige them. I have found some amazing stuff that is not available at fabric stores. Also while I think of it, a well stocked shoe repair place usually will have some very heavy thread for the shoe repair business.

Niagara USS Constitution