USS Merrimack 1855 by threebs

I am only posting to get this thread started.  I just got a small set of plans for the Merrimack from the national Archives.  I used my printer to blow them up to 1/72nd scale.  They, along with a spar deck plan a member sent me should be enough to get me going.  I am in the middle of 4 other builds, the Columbia, the Raritan, the Plymouth, and the Dolphin, so, it will be awhile be for I do any cutting of the bulkheads. 

IMG_9071.JPG

IMG_9072.JPG

IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9077.JPG

Pulling up a chair. Looking forward to you kicking this build off. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Looking forward to this!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of the bulkheads are cut and shaped.  It  maybe awhile before I post again as I need to carefully square and align the bulkheads.  Also, because this is such a long ship, I will need to re enforce the keel at the bottom of the bulkheads to prevent warping.  And at the sheer between bulkheads to strengthen and prevent the warping of the bulkhead upper hull side frames.

IMG_9135.JPG

IMG_9134.JPG

IMG_9133.JPG

IMG_9132.JPG

And away you go!  Nice to see the build under way. Great start. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Deciding to try to keep at it is part of trying.  

I’ve seen your other models.  

They are phenomenal.

This one will be too.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me