spile from here to here

Before you do that, I might consider tapering the garboard back a little more. If you don't, plank widths will get 'squeezed' or tapered too much into the bow. Take a look at "A primer on planking" to see what I mean.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

22 minutes ago, druxey said:

Before you do that, I might consider tapering the garboard back a little more. If you don't, plank widths will get 'squeezed' or tapered too much into the bow. Take a look at "A primer on planking" to see what I mean.

You are correct but I need it to match the other side more than I need to worry about squeezing. It was a lapse of mine to let it get this far so crooked but there was nothing for it then. There is now though. As they say at the Barber Shop...Take a little off the top is just what I will do cause that's part of it. Thanks for your reply it was real helpful

The other option is just remove the old garboard strake, or even just the forward plank of the strake, taper and reinstall.  This is relatively easy if you used a wood glue.  I use a Q-tip to soak the joint with isopropyl alcohol (70%).  Easy peasy.   Fixing the problem early on keeps the error from compounding. 

I have had to do this with multiple strakes...I thought I could finesse the problem with sandpaper and xacto, only to have it get worse as the work progressed. :default_wallbash:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, Pinas Cross Section
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch), John Smith Shallop

2 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

The other option is just remove the old garboard strake, or even just the forward plank of the strake, taper and reinstall.  This is relatively easy if you used a wood glue.  I use a Q-tip to soak the joint with isopropyl alcohol (70%).  Easy peasy.   Fixing the problem early on keeps the error from compounding. 

I have had to do this with multiple strakes...I thought I could finesse the problem with sandpaper and xacto, only to have it get worse as the work progressed. :default_wallbash:

I used CA and not all that well. A strake let loose on the other side which was nice because I tuned that one. I have had success filing the one in the picture down. The gap is much less and I can see the rising strake at the bow that I really didn't before. I won't x-acto cause it would not be x-acto but rather slippo wrongo by me but I can sand and have a couple sharp dental picks. It's coming along but the shop is closed until tomorrow. Thanks

Keep charging!!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, Pinas Cross Section
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch), John Smith Shallop