What thread for whipping?

Hi All,

Into a new phase of building (even if it is for the cannons). Amati supplied the Lady Nelson with 1mm, .75mm, .5mm, .10mm and .25mm ropes. As I look at the drawings, these are all for different rigging on the ship. The drawings show seizing and whipping but do not address how it got there. So here is the dumb question for the day: what size of thread do I use for all the whipping etc. on a 1:64 scale ship? What are your recommendations?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Just found a “thread” (excuse the pun) from David Lester. The good Admiral is going to show me her sewing thread collection and I’ll confiscate a role for each color rope I have in the Amati kit. 😁

Dave

Seizing was a way of "clamping" down a rope. Typically this was done by hand by certain seamen who were allowed to carry a small knife in their pack. Understandably, this was a limited few. So the seizing rope (sometimes twine) had to be thin enough to manage single handedly, but also strong enough to hold against sometimes awesome force (think the ropes holding a gun). It had to be thin enough to be easily cut, but also easily applied.

You may be on the right track checking someones sewing basket. Another option many use is fly tying line. It's probably closer to scale for 1:64. That's what I use, but you must be careful of what you buy. Some tend to fray badly. I use UNI-Thread 6/0w. It comes in quite a few colors. Just be aware that it is not much thicker that a hair (which is probably about to scale). So make sure you have a good seizing process.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Guys - ordering today. 👍😀

I’ll practice with some sewing thread. I’m a real sailor and have whipped and seized many a line in real life. Doing it on a 1:64 scale rope… that could be something entirely different. 😆

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

I have used UNI-Thread 3/0, 6/0, and 8/0 depending on the thickness of the rope being seized or whipped. Some of the UNI-Thread are flat monofilament and to my eye they do not produce a good looking seizing. The stuff with a rounder cross section works better.

Of course you can always build up a few layers of the flat monofilament to compensate.

A proper round seizing has 7 - 9 turns of marline followed by one fewer riding turns on top and then two crossing turns between the ropes being seized together. I has a very distinct appearance.  For a flat seizing omit the riding turns and for a throat seizing omit the crossing turns.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci