Palamos by mester03 - OcCre - 1:45 - First build

My first build.....

So far everything is good - and spirit is high!😀

Still have a lot of filing/sanding to do on the battens and frames, before the first real "hard part" starts.

Next will be the fitting of bulwarks and then later lining strakes.

These parts needs to be made more flexible before fitting and for this i would need some expert advise:

*Per the instructions the "bulwark should be dampened with water or applied heat before twisting in place", and the Lining strakes should be "soaked in water"

Any advise on how the above is done best would be highly appreciated!

Thanks 

image.jpeg

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

I think soaking that bulwark for 20 or 30 minutes would be a good idea. You can then clamp it in place and allow it to dry to the correct shape. You can speed up the drying process with a blow dryer. Its hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like you would need to soak the aft, just the bow section.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

5 minutes ago, JeffT said:

I think soaking that bulwark for 20 or 30 minutes would be a good idea. You can then clamp it in place and allow it to dry to the correct shape. You can speed up the drying process with a blow dryer. Its hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like you would need to soak the aft, just the bow section.

Thanks Jeff - appreciated

Would that be soaking in just water (i heard somebody mention a bit of vinegar in it too)?

The pictures doesn't really show, but its the aft section that needs the soaking most, as it has more of a twist to it as well as the bend.

Hello mester03,

Looks like an interesting subject and I wish you success with your first build.

I took a look at some other build logs of this kit: https://modelshipworld.com/tags/Palamos/. Unfortunately none of them seem to have been completed.

The bulwark pieces give me some concerns, since the bulkheads have no extensions above the deck to give you the right shape and a structure to clamp the bulwark strips to. Honestly, I would take the extra pains to carve or 3D print some sort of solid in the correct shape. You can then soak the bulwark strips and clamp to that to form them.

For planking the strakes below the deck, there are plenty of tutorials on MSW where you can learn techniques such as spiling, lining off the hull with tick strips, steam bending, etc. Check out this category to start off: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/. Mr. Chuck Passaro's videos in particular are very helpful. There are also some articles on the NRG site (look at the "Articles Database" on the top banner).

Cheers,

starlight

The plywood in the OcCre kits is definitely fragile when dry, so definitely make sure to dampen the bulwarks piece. The problem is that you don't want to soak it too long or the layers will start to separate. I'd test soak a piece of the plywood scrap in the kit to see how much you can bend it after just a few minutes of soaking, as well as how long you can safely soak it before the plywood layer separate.

As Jeff pointed out, it's mostly the bow stern section that needs the dampening/soaking. You can probably just do that in the sink, or wrap the piece with a wet cloth.

First, make sure you bevel the frames a little more than you show in the photo. Also, the instructions indicate that bow needs to be filed down to a width of 2mm as well as the skeg – aft end of the keel.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

12 minutes ago, starlight said:

Hello mester03,

Looks like an interesting subject and I wish you success with your first build.

I took a look at some other build logs of this kit: https://modelshipworld.com/tags/Palamos/. Unfortunately none of them seem to have been completed.

The bulwark pieces give me some concerns, since the bulkheads have no extensions above the deck to give you the right shape and a structure to clamp the bulwark strips to. Honestly, I would take the extra pains to carve or 3D print some sort of solid in the correct shape. You can then soak the bulwark strips and clamp to that to form them.

For planking the strakes below the deck, there are plenty of tutorials on MSW where you can learn techniques such as spiling, lining off the hull with tick strips, steam bending, etc. Check out this category to start off: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/. Mr. Chuck Passaro's videos in particular are very helpful. There are also some articles on the NRG site (look at the "Articles Database" on the top banner).

Cheers,

starlight

Thanks starlight - appreciated

I did look for build logs for this, and though only one appeared to have gotten longer than I am, I did get some inspiration from the pictures in the log - just wasn't sure how to "get there".

Hadn't seen the planking tutorials, but i'll check it out before i get to it! 

12 minutes ago, catopower said:

The plywood in the OcCre kits is definitely fragile when dry, so definitely make sure to dampen the bulwarks piece. The problem is that you don't want to soak it too long or the layers will start to separate. I'd test soak a piece of the plywood scrap in the kit to see how much you can bend it after just a few minutes of soaking, as well as how long you can safely soak it before the plywood layer separate.

As Jeff pointed out, it's mostly the bow section that needs the dampening/soaking. You can probably just do that in the sink, or wrap the piece with a wet cloth.

Thanks for the heads-up

I'll do a "soak-test" first

Just now, mester03 said:

Thanks starlight - appreciated

I did look for build logs for this, and though only one appeared to have gotten longer than I am, I did get some inspiration from the pictures in the log - just wasn't sure how to "get there".

Hadn't seen the planking tutorials, but i'll check it out before i get to it! 

mester03,

I believe I was looking at this one: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/7779-palamos-by-frankg-occre-scale-145-first-build/

This modeler also had some trouble with the bulwarks and I think there are some important takeaways. First is the use of a solid shape to clamp the bulwarks to, as I recommended. Without this I suspect you will have difficulty getting the right 3D curvature and symmetry of port and starboard. Secondly, do the instructions really say to plank the bulwarks before bending? I would advise against that, since you will then have double the thickness to bend without snapping wood (which is incidentally what happened in that build log). You will still need multiple iterations of soaking and clamping to achieve the proper shape.

-starlight

3 hours ago, mester03 said:

Thanks Jeff - appreciated

Would that be soaking in just water (i heard somebody mention a bit of vinegar in it too)?

The pictures doesn't really show, but its the aft section that needs the soaking most, as it has more of a twist to it as well as the bend.

Just water is good enough.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

God start with your first build! Good luck.

In my experience it is the heat that makes the wood pliable much more than the water. I usually have a thermos of hot water to dip the strips in. Half a minute is usually enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, mester03 said:

My first build.....

So far everything is good - and spirit is high!😀

Still have a lot of filing/sanding to do on the battens and frames, before the first real "hard part" starts.

Next will be the fitting of bulwarks and then later lining strakes.

These parts needs to be made more flexible before fitting and for this i would need some expert advise:

*Per the instructions the "bulwark should be dampened with water or applied heat before twisting in place", and the Lining strakes should be "soaked in water"

Any advise on how the above is done best would be highly appreciated!

Thanks 

image.jpeg

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

Looks like an interesting craft. Also looks like you're getting a lot of good advice. I will follow along and see if I can learn something.

• 8 months later...