HMS Victory by Sparky21 - Panart - scale 1:78 - Bow Section

This is my seventh build. I do believe it's above my skill level but for better or worse I'm going to give it a try. I've never done a second planking so this will be interesting. Also, the sheet plans are all in Italian. I've been using the Google translator which works really good. I started using a soldering iron with a jig that I made for the bending of the planks. I've found that water soaking the planks before I heat them to bend work quite well. More photos to follow as I progress.

HMS Victory box.jpeg

HMS Victory Frames.jpg

20220508_122612.jpg

Resized_20220508_122623.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Started the first layer planking. It was a learning curve for me on how to use the soldering iron as to when enough heat was applied as to not burn the planks. As you can see in the second photo I scorched the planks.
Also the written directions said to wax the frames so the frames can easily be removed after the planking is done. But in the sheet plans it show tiny nails into the frames. I'm not sure if I'm doing the planking correctly or not, time will tell

Resized_20220520_133933.jpeg

Resized_20220520_134012.jpeg

Resized_20220520_134250.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the process of building this kit and have finished the first planking.  I decided to cut out the gunports before doing the second planking, but to my chagrin I can't find the pattern for locating the ports on the hull.  I've tried to guess at it, but that doesn't work.  I don't want to ruin all of the interior work I've completed by drilling random holes all over the side.  Do you by any chance have the pattern and are able to make a copy and send to be?  I would be eternally grateful.

Hi Sparky, you've made a solid start. I'm not familiar with the kit, but just a suggestion, looking at your pictures it doesn't seem that you have faired the bulkheads anywhere near enough to get a smooth run for the planks.  You really want the fairing to all the way to the aft face of the bulkhead so all of the plank face contacts it.  I think if you revisited that, it would make your planking a much easier and enjoyable experience.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 year later...