finding a R/C Napoleonic warship kit?

Hi

I am struggling to find an R/C kit of a Napoleonic warship,  don't mind if it has an electric motor or 100% sail--- any suggestions? I have never built an actual 'floating' model before just thought it would be fun to try and actually sail it :)

Thanks 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

I’m not aware of any Napoleonic R/C kits out there, but you should check out Jerry Todd’s R/C builds.  

He has built the Constitution, Pride of Baltimore, Constellation and Macedonian as R/C models.

There is also a book called “Building a Working Model Warship: HMS Warrior 1860” by William Mowll that talks about his R/C Warrior.

I actually just ordered that book after reading Jerry’s build logs here.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Specifically, there are no "kits."

Steel, Chapman, & Hutchenson (SC&H) used to manufacture large RC kits of a Baltimore Clipper, Brig, and HMS Surprise, but they closed down just before the pandemic.  I'm not aware of anyone offering kits of RC square-riggers, much less Napoleonic period warships.

Any such RC models you see now will have been scratch-built, or conversions of static models.  The Heller Victory plastic kit is a common subject for conversion.  I've converted three Revell 1:96 scale plastic kits to RC (2 Constitutions, 1 United States) myself over the years.   I've seen a few wood kits converted, but they tend to be much more expensive than plastic kits for folks to want to risk them in the water.  Most wood kits I've seen converted were completed, or nearly completed kits gotten cheap or free, and then retrofitted to RC.

Your "signature" lists a Vanguard kit in progress.  I imagine you have enough data in plans and patterns from that kit to reproduce the model again.  If you want a sailing model, rather than a motorboat with sails, you can see how several folks have concocted controls for their square-rigger models here: Catalog of RC Square Riggers

Also, check this out here on MSW:

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Hi thanks for taking time out to respond. @GrandpaPhil  I have read that book and has given me some good thoughts on how to proceed. And yes @JerryTodd I think I could use my Vanguard plans as a basis for a simplified square rigged R/C boat. The hull would have lots of room for the radio and linkage. I would just have to work out how to break her down for transit and make her look detailed but not---and relatively bomb proof for lifting and bumping into other boats and things!  LOl   so watch this forum-- I plan to start around October-- a winter project...

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍