Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

The MALAHAT-- a five-masted schooner, a contraband warehouse, and the Queen of Canada's Pacific "Rum Row." Built 1917 in Victoria, BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malahat_%28schooner%29

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Current Builds: Skipjack Albatross - 1:32

On Hold: Yacht Atlantic - Scientific

Completed:  Ships Boat - MS - First Planked Kit

Joseph Conrad, museum ship at Mystic Seaport, Connecticut since 1946.

Built in 1882 named Georg Stage, sold in 1934 and renamed Joseph Conrad, sold and used as Merchant Marine schoolship in 1938.

post-70-0-44398600-1393544335_thumb.jpg
Recent photo of Joseph Conrad.
Edited by DFellingham

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Name the Ship:

post-70-0-76218300-1393545371_thumb.jpg

Removed flags and name.

Dave

SS Independence ;) is correct. I would have accepted her sister ship SS Constitution because they were indistinguishable until the Conny's modification for higher passenger count several years later. By that time they were both painted white. They worked the New York to Mediteranean route and later San Francisco to Hawaiian Islands. Built in 1951, they both served in several fleets with changing paint schemes and names over the years. Constitution broke her tow on the way to the scrappers and sank in 1997 and Independence was scrapped in 2009.

post-70-0-42915600-1393601853_thumb.jpg

SS Independence in 1968. She also had the names Oceanic Independence, Sea Luck I, Oceanic and Platinum II.

post-70-0-18713600-1393601438_thumb.jpg

SS Oceanic (ex-Independence) in 2008 under tow to the scrappers. The EPA fined the owners over half

a million dollars for taking her out of US waters for scrapping without the required haz-mat remediation.

Your turn, David

Edited by DFellingham

Veracruz helped immensely David.. would the name be considered 'Hot & Saucy' by any chance ? :huh:   Don't want to give the answer as I'm not around full time for a bit (if it is correct of course)

Eamonn

If I'm right, then Jan you may be focusing on the wrong information (drop down a couple of posts from the original photo)

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks David, winning was the bit I was trying to avoid as I'd not be around tomorrow.. anyhoo I'm here now so I'll go find something not too taxing :P

Back Shortly Folks

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

All Righty Folks.. found something of a kinda similar vintage to Davids, not a great photo but then again if you use the clues you won't need a better one! (for a start there aren't too many good photos of this ship available, as she wasn't with the Company for long, some say she 'broke' the Company but I think that is unfair to the vessel)

She was (and to my current knowledge Remains) the largest vessel ever owned & constructed by her Country (she was an approx. 72,000 DWT, Panamax Bulk Carrier )

Don't over think it folks..  I wouldn't post an impossible to find ship (though as I mentioned photos are rare) use your knowledge, its all there in front of you!

That's enough clues I should think!!

The Race is on Guys.. ^_^

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

post-5925-0-16729400-1394213936_thumb.jpg

Bintang Biru (1997), ex-Nephele (1987), ex-Eagle (1986), ex-Irish Spruce, built in Ireland in 1983.

Well Done D. you are spot on with that, she is indeed the Irish Spruce!

As I previously mentioned there are many who believe her construction costs were the reason for the demise of Irish Shipping Ltd. the company folded only about 1 year or so after taking delivery of the vessel (Irish Shipping Ltd was a Semi State Body and the then Government pretty much insisted that the ship be built by an Irish Company in Cork despite being MUCH cheaper to construct abroad, though personally I believe it goes further than that as the reason for her construction in the first place, essentially to transport coal from Australia to Ireland, was negated by Cheaper coal from Poland.  There were some unwise charter terms also implemented by the company for it's various vessels all of which (taken together with other issues) can be construed to have caused the demise of ISL, so it is unfair to blame one individual vessel.)

Over to you D.

Eamonn

Name the Ship:

post-70-0-71029900-1394290066_thumb.jpg

Removed the ID number on the island.

Good Luck!

Dave

USS Ranger (CVA/CV-61) is close enough. The mystery ship was one of four Forrestal-class carriers: USS Forrestal (CVA/CV-59), USS Saratoga (CVA/CV-60), Ranger and USS Independence (CVA/CV-62). They were the first of the new angle-decked super-carriers with a flight deck built as part of the hull, reducing weight and increasing capacity, and were commissioned in 1956 through 1959. The photo is the Indy  ;) shortly after her commissioning. The Independence was the last of the four - and the oldest active duty US Navy ship by three years - when decommissioned in 1998. 

post-70-0-81589500-1394307135_thumb.jpg

Left to right: ex-Independence, ex-USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63), ex-USS Constellation (CV-64), and ex-Ranger awaiting

dismantling in Bremerton, WA, circa 2010. At the time of this photo Ranger was being preserved as a possible

museum ship, but as of September 2012 that honor was scheduled for Kitty Hawk. The Kitty Hawk-class carriers

were an upgrade on the Forrestal-class carriers with relocated elevators and island to improve flight deck logistics.

Your turn, Menno.

Thanks Dave,

This time I want to show a ship which I've seen passing by many times about 25 years ago and I always was impressed, by her simple but beautiful lines. The ship is still very active.

I hope you all like her as I do,I promise I wont get jealous  ;)

Menno

post-7034-0-92555800-1394341055_thumb.jpg

Oosterschelde, now on her second circumnavigation since restoration to original (1918) appearance in 1990-92. Currently en-route from the Falklands to Ascension Island, ETA 14 March 2014.

I thought this would be a tough one to find until I saw this photo on the Tall Ships Gallery website ( http://www.tallshipsgallery.co.uk )

post-70-0-61974800-1394348006_thumb.jpg

Dave