Hi All,

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to start to Rig the Bismarck.

I got supplied with some Mono-Filament Line for this task, I don't really like this stuff.... It seems to have a life of its own, very "Springy" and difficult to control.

I have a spool of EZ Line that I have never used and am wondering if this is a good alternative.

(I looked at a couple of tutorials regarding this but were more in line with Aircraft.)

It looks really easy to use and with all the delicate PE on the Bismarck, I'm thinking EZ Line would be a great medium.

Does anyone have experience with EZ Line for ship models?

What are the "Pros" and "Cons?"

The forums feedback is invaluable!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

I've used both Harry, EZ Line and 0,02 mm mono filament line for airplane builds and they both have pros and cons. EZ Line is very easy to work with, flexible and therefore easily pulled taut. I used CA to glue it on, as you have to glue it under slight tension and fast curing CA is helpful. If you have to fiddle it through tiny holes, the flexibility is not to your advantage though

The Mono Filament, I used for rigging WWI planes and the benefit of the material is, it adds to the structural rigidity of these fragile birds. I used eybolts as anchor points and micro tubes as turnbuckles, where the line passes twice. This is almost self securing, but fiddly to get the second pass of the line through the tube. 
With fragile parts, this method is not recommendable and the flexibility of the EZ line is a big bonus here. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

I've used both Harry, EZ Line and 0,02 mm mono filament line for airplane builds and they both have pros and cons. EZ Line is very easy to work with, flexible and therefore easily pulled taut. I used CA to glue it on, as you have to glue it under slight tension and fast curing CA is helpful. If you have to fiddle it through tiny holes, the flexibility is not to your advantage though

The Mono Filament, I used for rigging WWI planes and the benefit of the material is, it adds to the structural rigidity of these fragile birds. I used eybolts as anchor points and micro tubes as turnbuckles, where the line passes twice. This is almost self securing, but fiddly to get the second pass of the line through the tube. 
With fragile parts, this method is not recommendable and the flexibility of the EZ line is a big bonus here. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob,

I'm leaning more to EZ Line at this stage.... 🙂

Just some of the areal spreaders and other components look way too fragile for Mono-Filament to be pulled taught. 

Another Bismarck build by Rod, (rvchima), used Mono-Filament provided for his Bismarck and had great results, however, I am erring on the side of caution, perhaps....🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Well,

My EZ Line proved to be "Fine," much too fine.... So, I wont be using that....

After some time on the Web, I found a product by "Infini," a Lycra based Rigging thread, Black @ 110 Denier from BNA Models in Australia.

I guess we'll see how it performs. There are some scant reviews out there, they are all positive in nature.

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson