McLaren MP4/6 Ayrton Senna by DocRob - Fujimi - 1/20

DocRob

Hola fellow modelistas,

due to different reasons, I neglected my bench and MSW for some weeks and the next weeks won't be much better. Despite all obstacles, I wanted to start a new feel good build to motivate myself and so I chose my favorite F1 car for the task. Since a while, I accumulated some goodies for this project and since some weeks everything arrived at my doorstep.

The kit:

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.167dffd230087b28e3650b3c227c7faf.JPG

The goodies:

IMG_1612.thumb.JPG.d91e956ed4efa8ed16da5c95a0daf0aa.JPG

- Top Studio Cockpit detail set
- Top Studio PE-set
- Top Studio carbon decal set (was the hardest to find)
- TBDecals sponsor decals
- Tamiya seat belts
- PE rivets
- Colors from Zero Paints (a first for me)

I considered starting with the body, but decided to start, like the manual suggests, with the engine. Big mistake, at least motivational. As you can see on the pictures, the parts are metal plated in an aluminum finish, what's not to like about it. First of all the plating has spots and foremost it's completely superfluos, because nearly the whole engine is BLACK. You might say, no biggie, but it is, because of the plating no part fits how it should, you have to scratch, grind, and re drill all holes. Beside this, you can't use normal modeling cement, so I was forced to use CA.
That's not all. The engine parts sport all known types of plastic abnormalities, like prominent parting lines, ejector marks, burr and flash and the silver plating doesn't enhance general visibility.

Strange thing, that other versions of the kit seem to include the engine on black sprues. In all the beginning was utterly frustrating, we don't speak about an ancient short run kit, cast in some garage, it's a relatively modern incarnation, Fujimi what have you done.

This will not be a fast build, other than I sod the kit, if it continues to fight me back.

Oh, I haven't spoken about detail. The positive so far, the engine is very detailed and has a large part count. On the pictures, only half of the parts are added for better painting.

P1010997.thumb.JPG.c4a160ed6f0510489d6e1704fed164b6.JPG

If you look at the picture above, you can see the cylinder heads with very prominent cooling ribs, which unfortunately doesn't exist on the real thing. This is how it looks, with the added PE parts from Top Studio.

P1010999.thumb.JPG.92f21ada2471485858202a29118e4aba.JPG

Fujimi, are you the Japanese Italeri?

I'm still hoping the best for the non plated sprues and will not instantly bin the kit, but it's definitely on probation.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Brother you are aware that Super Clean will strip that plating off in a matter of a few minutes, just by soaking it? no work at all...

But yes it is sad that the model companies still think that gimmics like metal plating is still a good thing in today's modeling world....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Will follow along, hoping it goes better.  I'm sure you'll turn out another stunning model if you get past the rough start.  Long ago I built a few of the tamiya 1/20th F1 cars but have never done one from Fujimi.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

15 hours ago, Egilman said:

Brother you are aware that Super Clean will strip that plating off in a matter of a few minutes, just by soaking it? no work at all...

But yes it is sad that the model companies still think that gimmics like metal plating is still a good thing in today's modeling world....

Thank you Egilman and you are absolutely right, I should have stripped the plating, but naively I haven't been expecting such a bad fit and went for a quick start. I'm a bit wiser now at least :D.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

6 hours ago, gsdpic said:

Will follow along, hoping it goes better.  I'm sure you'll turn out another stunning model if you get past the rough start.  Long ago I built a few of the tamiya 1/20th F1 cars but have never done one from Fujimi.

Thank you Gary, albeit I don't share your optimism that much. The next steps will tell me, which direction the build will go, bin, middle detailed or reasonable detailed ;).
My only F1 expertise is my recently finished Tamiya 1/12 Renault RE20 turbo, which I documented here. So far this kit was better than the modern Fujimi kit.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

My work with the engine continued. After a lot of cleanup, I sprayed the block with Tamiya LP5 semi matte black and added some details here and there. I thought about using the plating to my advantage, after it caused so many irritations and scratched the black color away to let some details show through in silver.

P1011001.thumb.JPG.5122533fe7343a64cc4e0f238913378b.JPG

P1011002.thumb.JPG.cdd4849fbea01ec9ca4d115fde5e89c5.JPG

I think, I will omit wiring and tubing with this build. 1/12 kits are better suited for that, so on with adding engine details. The cover under the cylinder trumpets, was decaled with one of the Top Studio carbon decals, which unfortunately broke and I have to do some re touching.
The engine without the exhausts is more or less ready now.

P1011003.thumb.JPG.ac96de9f064f5efc42145a370995d7f6.JPG

P1011004.thumb.JPG.3fc410fb6923e7de93fbc9ade68223d8.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

This kit is fighting me back all the way. I start to think, I´m the problem and this doesn´t feel good. Oh yes, this should be a mojo restorer feelgood project, Argh :censored:.
Like always with my F1 builds, the exhaust assembly was a pain and I didn´t help myself, by adding the PE seals. The engine is not glued into the body pan, I only added it for the exhaust´s alignment.

The exhausts were ´puttied´with CA and painted with AK Extreme Metals colors. First stainless steel, then metallic blue for the shadows and finally with pale engine exhaust for general highlighting. The effect isn´t too visible on the photo, but looks stainless to my eye on the kit.

P1011009.thumb.JPG.b4b54d72b4696c0897a3fdf3510dd2eb.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Rob,

I’ve seen your other builds.  

You will make another masterpiece out of this one!

Keep at it!  It’s looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks for your confidence Phil, I hope, I can stay focused with this unruly build. I still hope, things will turn to the better with the kit. Next will be a lot of decaling. All the carbon around the chassis and monocoque will make it do or die.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

On 12/25/2023 at 1:22 AM, CDW said:

Looks great Rob! Looking forward to more.

Thank you Craig, the build is at snails pace at the moment, because of the festivities and other obstacles, but I hope to continue soon.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Not to worry Rob. We'll all be here after the holidays. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

I think, I mentioned a while ago, that this build was supposed to be a fun build, but guess what, this beast keeps fighting me on all angles.

After finishing the engine, I decided to give the Studio 27 carbon decals a try. There are over 80, luckily cookie cut with a very nice representation of different carbon patterns, along some rivets and fasteners.
So far so good, but the decals are very thick and brittle. I broke many while applying.

First things first, the preparation included removing cast textures on some of the plastic parts with files, sanding tools and chisels, then use Tamiya LP 1 gloss black as a basecoat. It´s best to develop an applying pattern for the decals, because they are slightly oversize on purpose to cover the edges as well. I started at the bottom sides and went up. It´s very time consuming as the brittle decals had to be bend around the edges with different numerous applications of strong decal softener and added heat from an hairdryer. When that is finished, you can go up further with decaling with the same exhausting procedure.
I then applied a layer of AK Real clear flat for the finish and as protection. I finished further parts not shown here, but will continue with the body pan and then on to the cockpit.

What you see on the pic are no decal seams, but different carbon patterns, some more glossy than others.

P1011030.thumb.JPG.3debeb2c0793a590098e897b71a49651.JPG

P1011033.thumb.JPG.42eddf20f66719d2f8087f5f9c9f884d.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

21 hours ago, CDW said:

Did Studio 27 recommend a specific decal solvent solution for their decals?

Not to my knowledge Craig, unless some of these tiny Japanese letters on the package say so. I used Tamiya´s decal adhesive, softener type for application and afterwards used the Tamiya Mark Fit extra strong on top numerous times, combined with some hot air.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

• 4 weeks later...

Due to the Twins-GB over on LargeScaleModeler, the McLaren build is boxed and paused. It gave me a lot of grief, but i felt, that now the fun part of the build would have started, but that´s for later. 

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard