SS Edward L Ryesrson

gak1965

For the Lakers out there, the Article of the Day on Wikipedia is the Edward L. Ryerson!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edward_L._Ryerson

Regards,

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

The Wikipedia article does not mention it but last summer she was dry docked  for several months her bottom was blast cleaned and she received a new coat of paint.  This sort of work is not cheap and it was hoped that this signaled a return to service.  Unfortunately, early this summer she was still at Fraser’s.

She has two strikes against her.  She is not a self unloader and she is steam powered.  This means that she is expensive to operate and not able to serve small ports that don’t have shore side unloading capacity.

The next time that I cross the bridge to Superior, I’ll provide  a status report.

Roger

9 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

The Wikipedia article does not mention it but last summer she was dry docked  for several months her bottom was blast cleaned and she received a new coat of paint.  This sort of work is not cheap and it was hoped that this signaled a return to service.  Unfortunately, early this summer she was still at Fraser’s.

She has two strikes against her.  She is not a self unloader and she is steam powered.  This means that she is expensive to operate and not able to serve small ports that don’t have shore side unloading capacity.

The next time that I cross the bridge to Superior, I’ll provide  a status report.

Roger

The Ryerson might be the only straight deck boat in the entire US fleet actually.  Almost all have been converted to self unloaders.  Canadian ships though, still have a decent number in use.

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you.  No news about the Meteor either good or bad.  My last real connection with them was my book launch reception where I was pleased to meet you.  Sarah left shortly thereafter.  I ran into her recently at the grocery store and she seems to be as mystified as I am about management of the ship.  I am hoping that Gales of November Conference will happen this year.  It was cancelled the past two years.  I have a tub of whaleback information in the basement used to write the book.  One of these days I’ll drop it off at the museum.

Roger 

JKC27-

Close but no Cigar!  The only other American Straight Decked Great Lakes vessel that I know of is Interlake’s John Sherwin and I’m not sure that she qualifies.  She is in long term layup at Sturgeon Bay, WI or Detour, MI depending on which website you believe.  She hasn’t sailed for over 30 years.  Interlake planned a number of years ago to convert her to diesel and self unloading but dropped the project due to a blip in the steel market.  It would seem that they chose to invest in a new vessel instead.

Roger

@Roger Pellett Ah yes...forgot about the Sherwin.  She's been sitting a long time.  Always seems there is a flicker of good news for getting her sailing again, but then that fades.  I know a lot of us "boatnerd"s would love to see the Ryerson sail again, even though up until the last years, their ships did not frequent Detroit often.

As an aside Roger - any news up there on the "Great Lakes Fleet" old US Steel fleet (now owned by CN)?  I heard they were looking to sell the ships, but just recently got the Philip R Clarke sailing again.