America by jcooke26 - Hapyly - 1:120 - first build

First and foremost, I realize that this "kit" is of very low quality. Having said that, I bought this kit (and another) from Amazon as a first build to test my skills, build knowledge, and help determine the feasibility of completing a scratch built shrimp boat any time soon. After receiving the kit on Friday and putting a few hours into it thus far, I can say without a doubt that I'm hooked. That's the good news. The bad news... This kit is junk. At least that's my current sentiment. I've made it to the planking stage, per supplied instructions, and can't help but think that the included materials are not adequate to complete the project, not even to my low standards. Specifically, the length of the first plank is causing some concern. I'm currently weighing my options.. Continue along with the materials supplied and hope for the best OR order additional materials and try to turn this lemon into lemonade? I realize that this was never intended to be a high quality product but I had hoped that a proper planking experience would be provided. Maybe I should scrap the directions and look for another suitable way to cover the hull, despite not being accepted or accurate? I'm inclined to limit my expenditures and redirect my money to a more reputable supplier. Any advice, observations, or critique will be welcomed. 

To be honest, I should have started with something reputable. I enjoy a challenge, but only when I'm sure that the outcome will be worth my investment of time. I really didn't want to drop a few hundred without first knowing it would hold my interest either. It's been 30yrs since I've even thought about a model lol. Know I know. 

20221204_135633.jpg

20221204_135641.jpg

20221204_135654.jpg

Ahoy!  The supplied planking does look a nit thick for the scale of the kit... but you can still 'plug away' to get used to working with wood.  (The rigging will be a challenge unless your deadeyes and blocks are larger than for scale.)  One thing that can help you 'fair' there hull is to glue balsa or basswood 'filler blocks' between the frames (bulkheads), and then plane/shave/sand down to the level of the frames so the hull curvature is smooth.  If any frame is to low (as the smooth form develops ... note that you should bot be planking until the hull is faired), strips of wood can be glued to the edge off the frame to 'bring it up' to the needed level.

When planking, get some wood strips around half the apparent thickness of what we see in the photos.  You can soak a little (not too  long), heat with an iron or blow drier, and rough bend the plank while still warm.  There are several logs showing alternative planking techniques.  Since you will be painting the hull, don't fret about 'perfect planking', but get your feet wet in the building process.  You can likely have a nice 'standoff scale' model when done.

I can recommend the Endurance by OcCre (Shackleton's ship), which could be a good 'next step'  There is a review of the kit in the kit review section, and a complete build by HakeZou, plus a build in progress by Clearway.  Don't worry about kit modifications, as you can build it 'out of the box' and get a very nice model - in approximately 1:72 scale.  The building and rigging is much easier in this scale.  The instructions are pretty good AND there is a video on line made by the kit manufacturer showing EVERY step of building it ... nearly in 'real time' (some breaks for repetitive actions).  There are no guns (thus no gun ports and tackle) needed, no need to copper the hull - as the original was painted with newly popular anti-fouling paint (rust red).  There are many pictures of the original on line if you want to look.  Only the fore mast has square sails, as the other two are fore-and-aft rigged - a real time saver.  And there are now a few picture available on line of the actual ship as she lays on the bottom in Antarctic water.

Best of luck !          Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

45 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Ahoy!  The supplied planking does look a nit thick for the scale of the kit... but you can still 'plug away' to get used to working with wood.  (The rigging will be a challenge unless your deadeyes and blocks are larger than for scale.)  One thing that can help you 'fair' there hull is to glue balsa or basswood 'filler blocks' between the frames (bulkheads), and then plane/shave/sand down to the level of the frames so the hull curvature is smooth.  If any frame is to low (as the smooth form develops ... note that you should bot be planking until the hull is faired), strips of wood can be glued to the edge off the frame to 'bring it up' to the needed level.

When planking, get some wood strips around half the apparent thickness of what we see in the photos.  You can soak a little (not too  long), heat with an iron or blow drier, and rough bend the plank while still warm.  There are several logs showing alternative planking techniques.  Since you will be painting the hull, don't fret about 'perfect planking', but get your feet wet in the building process.  You can likely have a nice 'standoff scale' model when done.

I can recommend the Endurance by OcCre (Shackleton's ship), which could be a good 'next step'  There is a review of the kit in the kit review section, and a complete build by HakeZou, plus a build in progress by Clearway.  Don't worry about kit modifications, as you can build it 'out of the box' and get a very nice model - in approximately 1:72 scale.  The building and rigging is much easier in this scale.  The instructions are pretty good AND there is a video on line made by the kit manufacturer showing EVERY step of building it ... nearly in 'real time' (some breaks for repetitive actions).  There are no guns (thus no gun ports and tackle) needed, no need to copper the hull - as the original was painted with newly popular anti-fouling paint (rust red).  There are many pictures of the original on line if you want to look.  Only the fore mast has square sails, as the other two are fore-and-aft rigged - a real time saver.  And there are now a few picture available on line of the actual ship as she lays on the bottom in Antarctic water.

Best of luck !          Johnny

This is great! Much appreciated! So many things to learn & start to consider when breaking into a new hobby. 

The most important piece of information regarding your kit is this one:

image.png.49607d8411e85e608d25b766baa08354.png

Which, admittedly, you could only find by tracking down the seller's info. Terrible Chinese kits like this one have flooded the market in recent years. These kits are "hobby killers," i.e. people who buy them are quite likely to give up on the hobby before ever really getting started.  My advice to you is this: toss this kit aside -- it will only cause you frustration and grief. Spend a few dollars more and get a real kit from a REPUTABLE manufacturer that is specifically designed for beginners, e.g. Midwest Products, Model Shipways Shipwright Series, BlueJacket Shipcrafters, or even one of the fishing boats from Vanguard Models. All of these have well-written instructions IN ENGLISH and quality materials and, in most cases, the kit designers are members of our forum. You will have a far more satisfactory building experience and a much higher probability of actually finishing your model.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

6 hours ago, jcooke26 said:

as a first build to test my skills, build knowledge, and help determine the feasibility of completing a scratch built

J

As you are more or less in the beginning stages, seriously consider the three vessel series designed by David Antscherl available from Model Shipways.

They will teach a lot skills that will be used in your scratch build adventures.   https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

From the first two photos that you posted it appears that the bulkheads are too widely spaced to properly support the planking and to properly define the shape of the hull.  How to proceed?

Decide to push ahead and build the model-  As Johnny suggests you can glue blocks between the bulkheads, then carve them to produce a fair hull.  Then plank the resulting solid hull.  You will wind up with a model, but probably not America.  George Steers, America’s designer was a talented Naval Architect and his hull forms, particularly the sterns, are distinctive and beautiful.  I doubt if even a highly skilled model maker could duplicate America’s hull form with this kit.

Trash the kit-  Building a beginner kit is certainly good advice.  Both Bluejacket and Model Shipways offer these.  BUT! The kit needs to hold your interest.  If there was a compelling reason that you wanted to model America, Bluejacket offers two America kits and the company has a good reputation.

Roger

Thanks to all who've commented and offered recommendations and words of wisdom! Your advice was well received and I'm happy to report that I'll be transitioning into a reputable product. I'd like to use the "I was new.. I didn't know" excuse here but honestly I know better than to buy junk. Lesson learned. Going to do some research tonight before bed and pull the trigger tomorrow. Heavily leaning toward the 3 kit combo. Seems to be a lot more value there for a beginner. I'm not ditching this kit just yet though... Gotta have something to do while my real kit is in transit! I know it's not accurate and will likely frustrate the heck out of me but I'm hooked. Whatever comes of this garbage kit I'm holding, good, bad, or ugly, will be posted here for laughs. Go easy on me. I was new... I didn't know! 

Thanks again for the direction! Looking forward to learning a lot through these projects and developing some new skills! (Hoping at some point I can use this hobby as an excuse to buy more tools lol) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate.

Don't be too disheartened about your choice of kit.

I made the same mistake, because cost is an issue as well.

These cheaper kits are made up with inferior materials,as you and i both found out.

I have since bought a Mammoli kit of America and have now almost finished it.

It was a pleasure to build and i have learned so much.

Some of the builders here are absolute magicians with the quality and detail.

I personally build these things because i enjoy it and it keeps my brain challenged.

Cheers mate , keep up the good work and remember just have fun with it.

Ray