want to get a new ship

dragzz

i live in canada British Columbia  i cant get model ship way kits here and if i order from model expo shipping going to kill me 40.00 to ship to where i live +13% tax the hobby store where i live i was there today thay can get the wood ships for me but not the soild hull kits just the plank bulk kind iam still new dont know what to do can someone help me if thay can that be so nice  tys

scratch build is not for me i know what kill iam looking for its the Model Shipways Phantom cant get in canada 

As a fellow Canadian, the only thing I can suggest is just bite the bullet. You're going to find the prices charged by Canadian retailers will still be more than what you would pay (shipping included) from a US retailer. You will only get dinged for the GST at the door (5%) since the provinces do not have jurisdiction to charge import duties. Don't forget that a Canadian retailer will be obliged to have you pay full sales tax (GST + PST, or HST) AND you still have to pay to ship it from wherever in the country it's coming from.

Model Expo does Canadians a favour, as they prepay the GST on your order, so you won't get hit again at the door. The biggest trick is to plan well ahead. Plan for everything you'll need (spare parts, replacement upgrades, tools etc.) so you can have everything shipped at once. Most retailers will charge a flat rate based on weight, so you can save there as well.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

If you do decide to order from Model Expo (as suggested by Andy), once you decide on a ship check their website frequently for 'sale' items.  They are constantly putting specific kits on sale and the savings can be as much as 50% off. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

My advice is try Craigs List. There are apparently more than a score of British Columbia craigs list pages:  http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites#CA  If your not familiar with Craigs List, its an online, bigger, version of a newspapers classified ad section. I bet if you keep searching Craigs List you will find someone has a kit they are never going to build/finish and they may be trying to unload it on Craigs list. I can't guarantee anything but that is what I would try. You must be persistent though, checking the listings every day or so over the span of weeks, but I bet you will come up with something. Also you can post your own ad on Craigs List, you can put up a request for kits. I guarantee you someone in all the Great White North has an unbuilt kit in their closet.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Customs isn't such an issue these days (at least I haven't had any issues in the past few years) with our dollars being so close.  And really, there are outlets available in Canada.  If they aren't advertising mail order they will likely help out just the same.  I know of several in Alberta - close enough to BC and no sales tax. 

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)

id like to say tys to u all for helping me what u all said will help me out   if u have any links for me in  Alberta that cool i dont want to get a plank on builk head kit not for my frist one did that befor it was all bad 

iam looking to get this one Model Shipways Phantom poeple say to get this cuz its  Solid hull kit  good for some one like me lol 

As a fellow Canadian, the only thing I can suggest is just bite the bullet. You're going to find the prices charged by Canadian retailers will still be more than what you would pay (shipping included) from a US retailer. You will only get dinged for the GST at the door (5%) since the provinces do not have jurisdiction to charge import duties. Don't forget that a Canadian retailer will be obliged to have you pay full sales tax (GST + PST, or HST) AND you still have to pay to ship it from wherever in the country it's coming from.

Model Expo does Canadians a favour, as they prepay the GST on your order, so you won't get hit again at the door. The biggest trick is to plan well ahead. Plan for everything you'll need (spare parts, replacement upgrades, tools etc.) so you can have everything shipped at once. Most retailers will charge a flat rate based on weight, so you can save there as well.

Andy

Andy,

That was quite a news-item for me. I guess NAFTA does't apply to model ships ha ha.... Conversely I purchase from Cast Your Anchor up your way, and I never seem to have any issues. Though when I order parts from Modeler's Shipyard in AU now ! that is an issue for me here in the USA.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Andy,

That was quite a news-item for me. I guess NAFTA does't apply to model ships ha ha.... Conversely I purchase from Cast Your Anchor up your way, and I never seem to have any issues. Though when I order parts from Modeler's Shipyard in AU now ! that is an issue for me here in the USA.

Regards,

Michael

It's not customs fees or duties, it's sales tax. Generally levied by the federal government, on items valued at $100 or more.

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy