New Hyundai HY7524 compressor not working

I have just removed this from the box and read the instructions which are very poor( no drawing showing the different parts apart from the wheels on the bottom and the air intake filter)I fitted the air intake filter and closed the drain valve. I am still waiting for the airbrush and hoses to arrive but thought I would give it a run anyway. So switched on as per instructions. All would apear to be working ok with the small gauge gradually rising as expected. However the large gauge which I think is for the tank does not apear to be working .

I also adjusted the outlet pressure to what the gauge is showing. The compressor I think unloads but does not cut out but instructions say that it should cut out?. There does not apear to be any change in noise level at this point. What am I doing wrong?

20230121_130009.jpg

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Thank you Jim  that was already in the start up instructions Now that I figured out what the pressure switch does I let the compressor run up to the tank pressure ot 7 bar by adjusting the outlet pressure and winding in the pressure regulator and worked out that at least I know that the cutting in and out between 5 and 7 bar is  working so all good apart from the large tank pressure gauge. However I am a little worried that the tank relief valve is on the same manifold as the gauge so it would really be nice to get th gauge working. I will have to get in touch with hyundai and get this sorted befor I properly use it.

Looking at your photo, it would appear that there is one of two possibilities.  Either the gage is defective or there is something blocking the inlet to the gage. This raises two more questions.  How did the factory set max working pressure per note on the machine and is the pressure switch functioning properly?  I don’t see how you could have done anything to affect the operation of the machine.  If you can manually lift the relief valve, do that and see what happens.

Roger

Thank you Roger. I have done a test run by adjusting the outlet pressure to aproximatley 7b when the compressor cut out. So  the on /off pressure switch is set at 7 bar (factory set). As I haven,t got an airbrush yet (In the post)so  I reduced the pressure by opening the drain cock on the bottom of the tank until the compressor re started again which was around 5 bar. So all would appear to be operating as per normal. I think you are correct in thinking the gauge is either faulty or there is a blockage to it. As the tank pressure gauge looks to be on the same outlet pipe/manifold as the outlet gauge (fitted after the pressure regulating valve) which is working fine, I think it is now fairly certain to be one or the other faults you mentioned and probably a faulty gauge. I have thought about swapping over the two gauges to prove this one way or the other but if I damage anything I will lose the warranty so think I will leave it for now .

It now looks like I will have to contact Hyundai on Monday and see what they have to say. Hopefully they will give me a new one but that is a fair bit of hassle.perhaps they could send me a new gauge to change but I doubt that and just in case the fault is something different. Thank you  again Roger for your help and patience,best regards Dave

that compressor is the same thing I bought from a company called Harbor Freight.   It never worked. they sell everything from China. I brought it back, a 22 mile drive from my shop, and politely got another one on return. I asked then to plug it in, they did with a big smile, and that one started making lots of rattling noise, They said  "we have 3 more you can try before we give you a refund" . It seems every time I buy anything made in China is crap. I I bought a air valve splitter for my shop compressor, and ran it to my modeling work bench on a pressure regulator and water Seperator.  Now I have a dedicated air supply for my air tools . The shop compressor is a 10 HP, 110 gal air tank that I can run my tools at 150PSI,  Your compressor is not made by Hyundai , Its made in a factory city in China that sells it to probably 100 different names on it 

Edited by Alex-Ks1
word correction

Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your compressor Alex. However they do seem to get decent reviews on Youtube and other places but mainly by people who have just got them. So time will tell. I think the saying is generally true. good not cheap.cheap not good. I think its the price which is attractive .It will be interesting to see what the after sales is like if any. Anyway thanks for your input its appreciated

Edited by DaveBaxt

I finally ended up recieving a new pressure gauge and replaced the old one with the new one and hey presto all up and running. I met up with a few friends at my local modelling club and I have arranged for my first lesson/introduction on airbrushing next week so hopefully I will now be up and running. I also have all the other stuff at hand, such as Thinners ( making my own) retarder and various acrylics. I have been told that various vheap products can be used for cleaning the air brush , but will give the thinners a go first. Looking forward to my first attempt at Airbrushing . Best regards Dave

On 1/27/2023 at 9:12 PM, Alex-Ks1 said:

just some advice from a car painter of 40 years, Put an oil/ water Seperator in line with the regulator to your hose, you will be surprised how much water these compressors make for their size.  water /oil  in a spray system kills paint jobs 

Thank you for your kind advice annd it is appreciated. Please forgive me if I am wrong  but I was under the impression that there is  already a water trap under the bottom of the regulator valve which you can see in the photo but is this not the same thingas a seperator.This compressor is also diaphram and is also oiless. Any further advise is appreciated. Best regards Dave