Speel-Jaght by mark.bukovich - Kolderstok - 1:50

Speel-Jaght- Kolderstok

Welcome to my build log for the Speel-Jaght, a 1:50 kit by Kolderstok. 

I am still working on my Melonseed project, but there are often waiting periods and breaks when it is nice to have another project to work on. I bought the Speel-Jaght kit from Kolderstok last year, and every time I see it on my shelf, I get excited. I finally caved-in to the excitement and started it!

Here is the box shipped all the way from the Netherlands to the US:

20230201_195145.thumb.jpg.feaac3a0b2df83174fcdc50f6debc385.jpg

A little bit of damage to the box, but the internal contents were just fine. The contents include a manifest which confirms that all necessary components are in the box (in other words, someone actually audited the kit before shipping it. I think that says a lot about Kolderstok's quality control 👍

20230201_195744.thumb.jpg.a2e5ac4cfe9d4617c371cebf3dadbb85.jpg

This kit uses an interesting construction method for the hull. In this kit, the false keel and bulkheads are not permanent like in many other kits. For the Speel-Jaght, the hull is built around the form created by the false keel and bulkheads and then removed completely. According to the instructions, this resembles a common construction method used during the historical period in which the Speel-Jaght was built and sailed. I can say confidently that this is a common method for building full-sized traditional wooden boats. 

I cut the pieces out and assembled the form. I feel like Kolderstok did a very good job with tolerances and making it very easy to know how to assemble (notice the numbers on both the frame and false keel). I should also mention that the points where the pieces need to be cut out seem to be located where the potentially rough cut/break will not affect the final product 👍

20230201_221650.thumb.jpg.0a4fc4e255e8f9fc5c2a0631ba8c26d5.jpg

20230201_222611.thumb.jpg.74fe7540fb5c75ee59669c9bb2992425.jpg

@*Hans* (I thought you might be interested in this 😁 )

Edited by mark.bukovich
Remove accidental frown face

Oh sure! Thank you for this nice start. If you have any questions you can always contact me via this forum, pm, our website kolderstok.com or via email 🙂

Hans

Kolderstok

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

On 2/4/2023 at 2:35 PM, *Hans* said:

Oh sure! Thank you for this nice start. If you have any questions you can always contact me via this forum, pm, our website kolderstok.com or via email 🙂

Hans

Kolderstok

Thanks @*Hans*!

By the way, do you know of any images or resources that could help me understand how the forward cabin would have been fitted out?

I wonder if these Speel-Jaghts were more often used as daysailers or camp-cruisers (to use modern English terminology) 

I do have a few images, one made by René Hendricx, on behalf of Ab Hoving (who has worked out the original charter, made by the 17th century writer van Yk, into this model) and some paintings from  around 1640 which have been an inspiration for me for this particular model.

But they don't really give a clue how the inside of the Speel-jaght was fitted out.

Hans

image.jpeg.4d3bd6c345be41e611f91240e51cd810.jpegimage.jpeg.859554a0e9165af55fd6d64ce719572d.jpegimage.jpeg.b9856d9a5ddbbed87884537db3a6a3c8.jpeg

Edited by *Hans*

Hans   

Thanks @*Hans*! Those are great images! This is a very cool little vessel.

I thought it would cool to build the model with an open door to the cabin where some things might be visible with the right lighting. I suppose the contents of the cabin could be different for each owner and each voyage. I wonder if passengers would sleep in hammocks or cots or maybe just rolls on the floor. 

Considering the scale, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

It is a small vessel, and more important, a pleasure yacht. Not meant to sleep in or make long voyages with it. It was just for fun, to have a nice day on the water.  So I presume there was some simple food and drinks, like roasted duck, champagne and caviar and not much more. 

Hans

Hans   

• 4 months later...

It has been a while since my last post. Progress has been slow with various other priorities in my life.

Since my last post, I have faired the mold, glued on the planks to the transom, and bent the garboard planks.

I do have a question for @*Hans*

Should the first planks be glued flush with the bottom of the keel? If not, is there a specific measurement on where the planks should be glued? 

Hopefully these pictures will help explain my question:

This?

20230621_174826.thumb.jpg.a25cd56ff5a330bf1f03c30da436db18.jpg

Or this?

20230621_174850.thumb.jpg.02e36e5e46314f3058f86ea7ba55f304.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed answer - we are on a short holiday. Your first photo shows the correct way, although if you do/did it in the second way it will not cause great difficulties.

Hans