la1.jpg.ed8326da71ee7b49137ddaeb749f4480.jpg

I don't like barrels in kits. It requires heavy paint work to make it fine.

I have a fiber laser cutter, which can cut cherry wood up to 6mm. It is so useful that I already packed my Proxxon table saw. Also, I bought some thick cardboards for my next project. The brown paper on the picture is 1mm thick. I challenged to make a DIY cardboard cask to replace kits.

image1676049786.png.1f6770910f38524221fc815259da4633.pngimage1676049863.png.da44fc24b952977cdcb1ca5be4891899.png

I spent several hours for measuring, designing, and CAM. Now I only needed five minutes to print each cardboard cask sheet. ;)

la2.jpg.4c157111cb35b2144c52afcbf7db1415.jpg

The left design is final. It is very stable and easy to assemble. I used CA glue only.

la3.jpg.b1e066c3b8f0b353f3a254c4df7a745d.jpg

I spent about 15 minutes assembling each cask.

la4.jpg.6e2b7c7e225bcc9b3972177992e692a5.jpg

After that, I glued a black paper strip and applied shellac as a varnish. I'll build another smaller cask in the same process.

cask 31x21mm.zip

These are my design files. It is free to use. :D 

Nice work.  Look like the making of a side gig.  

I assume that's an air line of some kind on the side.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Just read on their Web-site. It feeds indeed a nozzle coaxial to the laser-beam to blow out burnt material, so that it does not obstruct and scatter the laser, thus making the cut narrower with less charring (my interpretation, not their sales-pitch ...).

However, if I read correctly, it works from bit-images, not from vector graphics. I wonder, how well it would be doing on lines oblique to axes of the machine and on curves. 

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

5 minutes ago, wefalck said:

a nozzle coaxial to the laser-beam to blow out burnt material

Exactly. An air compressor is mandatory to cut any material thicker than 0.8 mm. The Sculpfun brand offers all accessory options including the $55 air compressor, and it works pretty well. The assembly is a bit tricky, but it is definitely better than raw aluminium pipe cut models. 

s10cost.thumb.jpg.38cfe720d7b9a2d7b33a59beb72944ef.jpg

These are options I purchased with the S10.

Nevermind the software. The software isn't free. I'm using LaserGRBL, which is open source and free. The LaserGRBL does most of Laser CNC cut. I use an open source freeware Inkscape to make a vector gcode.