Mainsheet blocks and rigging for 1930s Chesapeake Bay skipjack

Go to solution Solved by jhearl,

I'm endeavoring to build Model Shipway's kit of Willie Bennet, a skipjack that I believe was modeled for the 1930s. My question is, and this has come up for other smaller craft from 1900-1940; how is the mainsheet really rigged? Specifically, what did the block look like on the traveler. Most models show a simple eye from a single block permanently looped onto a brass bar, but I'm sure it was a bit more than that.

Anyone have a description? Diagrams or even pictures are especially helpful. It would be nice to know how to authentically rig the traveler for working boats from that era, I've enjoyed building some but I would like to get this detail right.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Solution

Actually, it was a simple as that. Below are two pics from real skipjacks showing the block and the ring around the traveler. The first is the E.C. Collier at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, and the second is the Joy Parks at the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum.

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

4 hours ago, glennb17 said:

Willie Bennet, a skipjack that I believe was modeled for the 1930s

Just a tiny bit of history, The Willie Bennett was built in 1899, but the design is pretty much the same as the last skipjack to be built before motors were permitted and could be used  two days per week starting in 1965.  They did vary in length from their inception, ranging from about 40 feet to 50 feet.   A visit to the museum at St. Michaels is a very pleasant way spend a day or two.  The yard allowed me to take a piece of an old skipjack keel that had been removed and was being replaced.  A few parts made from that old piece of keel went into two models I built of skipjacks.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

22 hours ago, jhearl said:

Actually, it was a simple as that. Below are two pics from real skipjacks showing the block and the ring around the traveler. The first is the E.C. Collier at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, and the second is the Joy Parks at the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum

Wow! Those pictures couldn't be more on point if I had gone to the museum myself looking for just that. One remaining question. On the becket opposite the ring on the block, there's a line with an eyesplice to attach it. Did you catch where that was going?

I definitely know what it's supposed to look like, thanks so much!

Glenn

That's very helpful, thanks!

I have also been monkeying with Midwest's old Flattie kit. Since they came from the same area and there was a lot of overlap between service for the two, I took the cue for the Skipjack and am transferring over. I prototyped a block for the traveler in basswood and brass. The final blocks will be in cherry, for no other reason than looks better at scale and I happen to have the stock. Here's what I came up with for a block of that style with a becket. No eye splice yet though. Will add more detail when I think the wood can take it and blacken the brass in advance. I like the paint a little better though, maybe i will pick up a little grey enamel instead.

Thanks again!

IMG_2924.jpeg

Hi, I sail on the skipjack Ida May and spend time on the other local skipjacks during the late summer...I don't think the main sheet rigging has ever really changed...most boats have a double block hooked or "ringed" to the boom fitting's mini traveller/loop under the band and a single block hooked into the sliding ring on the stern traveller. This may be reversed based on captain's preference. Working end is usually made fast to a cleat on one side or the other on the base of the wheel's "box".

Here are some pictures I hope can help...the other, smaller block rig fastened to the "lazy board" is for lifting the bow of the push-boat into position.

Note the traveller bent/pulled out of position in the first pic...too much wind did that!

bent trv.jpg

chp6.jpg

MS.jpg

ms2.jpg

ms3.jpg

r2.jpg

ring.jpg

stern.jpg

14 hours ago, C Keith said:

I sail on the skipjack Ida May and spend time on the other local skipjacks during the late summer

Welcome to MSW Keith

Do you get a fair share of the oysters???   That is important,,,,,,,, if you are like me and love oysters.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU